Landing Gear Inspection

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

minton

Landing Gear Inspection

Post by minton »

Well Tiz the Season (Again) to get the "Ol Bird out for some fly'in". And again it's time to give it a good go'in over to ensure it's up to the task of uneventful flight.

Of late I've noticed some landing gear and tailwheel issues in the forums that caused me to think about the overall condition of these 50+ year old birds.

I did a search of the forums for any past postings that could be good for a review before going over (inspecting) the plane and found many.
Blue4

Re: Landing Gear Inspection

Post by Blue4 »

I just learned that you should never use chemical paint stripper on landing gear legs. According to the FAA, that makes them permanently unairworthy.
-Scott
minton

Post by minton »

Very true! I think George has commented on that.

Inspection and recertification is a real grey area. I haven't seen much "Official Data" on the subject but a guy in Washington State perorts to have a certified inspection process in place that gets you a yellow tagged product. (So I've heard)

It would be nice to have such data available to the club.

North Sound Aviation
Jim Hayton
360-661-3302
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

If the FAA means "paint remover" when they refer to "chemical paint strippers" as condemming landing gear legs to permanent unairworthyness, I'd risk a guess that there are a hell of a lot of unairworthy Cessna landing gear legs out there. What do the paint shops do on a total repaint? I don't ever remember seeing any of them masking off the gear legs during stripping.
BL
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Could it be un-approved chemical strippers as some strippers can affect the chemical makeup of the metal.

I guess you could media blast the parts to remove the paint.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It depends on which stripper is used...and the subsequent treatment. The concern is hydrogen embrittlement.

Complete removal, bead blasting, and NDT, inspection is preferable.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
minton

Post by minton »

I'm hearing some great points/questions to address but where is the data that addresses our questions? Any ideas??

There is the chemical stripper issue, what strippers are a NO, NO? The inspection process leading to a yellow tagged gear leg, and when is re shot peening requirered/commended and probably more. :D

I hope someone has this material available to the forum.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

I've been using Napier SV-35/PMA (Aviation Grade) stripper. On the label it says, "SV-35/PMA is NOT Hydrogen Embrittling ASTM F 519-93". It's "non-hazardous", "non-toxic", and "biodegradable".

It is now sold under the RemovAll Brand. It's a little cheaper here.
Gary
3958v

Post by 3958v »

Any one know if you can take the paint off gear legs with a wire brush on a hand grinder. Actually I am sure you could but would that damage the shot penning? Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Wire brushing is BAD for almost anything on an airplane.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
minton

Post by minton »

OBTW: Most aircraft related maintenance manuals and other reference materials (43.13) recommend against the use of wire brushes as George said. This can drive any corrosion or other contaminants into any craters or pores. Also using other than stainless steel brushes on any metals will usually set up conditions for dissimilar corrosion to begin. There is also the heat that could be generated becoming an issue.
mike roe

Post by mike roe »

These gear legs are from the mid to late 40s and up. I wonder how many times they were stripped back in the 50s before hydrogen embrittlement was well known, Just a thought. :?
minton

Post by minton »

mike roe wrote:These gear legs are from the mid to late 40s and up. I wonder how many times they were stripped back in the 50s before hydrogen embrittlement was well known, Just a thought. :?
We are all in that boat with no real replacement options or way of testing for such. UNLESS someone knows of a testing process :?: :D
falco

Post by falco »

So when was the most recent spring gear failure? Is this a real issue?
bagarre

Post by bagarre »