Rear Pax Headset Jack Locations

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

darhymes

Rear Pax Headset Jack Locations

Post by darhymes »

I recently purchased a Sigtronics SCI-S4 four-place intercom. It’s a pretty neat little unit and even includes separate audio jacks for front and rear seats. The Pilot and CoPilot headset jacks are already installed in the panel and their locations are good. The rear jacks need to be installed, though. Before mounting the rear jacks, I would like to ask if anyone has a recommended location to mount them. I have searched through the site and a found a few different opinions on proper mounting locations.

There are two locations that I really like:
1. Hat Rack. Many of you have mounted the plugs on the hat rack. It seems like a great location but could be problematic if items on the hat rack interfere with the plugs.
2. Aft of Fuel Selector. I saw an older 172 taildragger (practically the same interior as my 170B) with plugs mounted aft of the fuel selector. This seems like a convenient location for pax to plug into and also keeps plugs away from the baggage area. Might be a bit close to fuel lines, though...

My plane has no ashtrays to mount plugs into.

If anyone wants to chime in with recommendations, please let me know:
1. Where you mounted the rear jacks and why
2. Whether or not you like the location and why
3. Anything that you would do differently with the installation

Thanks!
Dustin Rhymes
'55 170B N4410B S/N 26754
'06 G550 “The Silver Bullet”
cessna170bdriver

Re: Rear Pax Headset Jack Locations

Post by cessna170bdriver »

When I had a hat rack, I had the rear headset plugs in the forward outboard corners. I used to stuff sleeping bags, pillows, soft-side luggage, etc on the hat rack and never had an issue with the headset plugs. With the baggage door, I no longer have a hat rack and haven’t yet reinstalled the rear headset jacks. Since I no longer have to unlatch the back seat I am thinking of mounting jacks in a small electronics box and attaching that box to the seat latch with adel clamps.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

My 172 has them mounted on a plate clamped to the center/front leg of the rear seat. Works out fine.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

I also have mine mounted on the hat shelf. I find this keeps the headsets and cords out of the way when rear passengers or getting in or out of the plane. Unlike Miles I mounted mine under the shelf.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If you are careful to avoid cables and fuel lines, you can remove the rear doorpost covers and install them on the aft-side of the rear doorposts.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

I like where ours are located, though I can’t take credit for them!
Attachments
1069B677-A401-44C3-A859-F9BCACF50815.jpeg
1069B677-A401-44C3-A859-F9BCACF50815.jpeg (34.33 KiB) Viewed 10822 times
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
170C

Post by 170C »

I mounted mine on the bulkhead just behind the rear window. I believe its the same bulkhead where the rear seat support is attached I I remember. One jack above the other and they are just above the top of the seat back. This way they are out of sight except for the female receptacle and things on the hat shelf or in the baggage area don't interfere with the back side of the jacks. If you want to leave the rear headsets plugged in the headsets and their cables can be stowed on either side of the hat shelf.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

My pax headset jacks are positioned on the door post and it’s a job that has to be done with precision and it scars the hell out of me . Too much going on there. All leads are sleeved in heat shrink including the rear of the jacks . While I was instrumental in organising the fitment I didn’t give enough direction to the installer.
Larry E

Post by Larry E »

Our 170 has a small box under the rear seat that is mounted on an inspection plate, and has a 9 pin connector. It's angled a bit so that the headphone plugs do not touch the left seat inboard seat rail.
This is the easiest location to access for problems and/or removal. If the need arises, the cable and connector can be coiled and secured under the inspection plate in the wire bundle that goes aft from this area.
I like the idea of the jacks in the ashtray but it involves quite a bit more work...

Larry
Attachments
seat.jpeg
dstates

Post by dstates »

Mine are just behind the door frame below the window. Works well. Makes it easy for people to plug in/out.

Only downside is the bolts that hold the plastic cover go through the outside skin and to unscrew them you risk messing up the paint.

Doug
6560F8A5-E1FB-46E2-BB6A-83A091E5D56F.jpeg
1E6204D5-BC8D-42F0-9E0F-705279F776F9.jpeg
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

dstates wrote:Mine are just behind the door frame below the window. Works well. Makes it easy for people to plug in/out.

Only downside is the bolts that hold the plastic cover go through the outside skin and to unscrew them you risk messing up the paint.

Doug
Doug, this is the standard location, and the holes through the skin are for holding on the original rear ash trays.

Many people who want the look of a rear ash try, carefully put the plugs inside the ash tray. It's tight but can be done.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Ashtray-jackbox-composit.JPG
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
Richgj3

Post by Richgj3 »

A7EAF33B-6A45-4223-A8E7-7EC3D76EED55.jpeg
170C wrote:I mounted mine on the bulkhead just behind the rear window. I believe its the same bulkhead where the rear seat support is attached I I remember. One jack above the other and they are just above the top of the seat back. This way they are out of sight except for the female receptacle and things on the hat shelf or in the baggage area don't interfere with the back side of the jacks. If you want to leave the rear headsets plugged in the headsets and their cables can be stowed on either side of the hat shelf.
Mine is in the same place. Maybe a bit lower.
Rich Giannotti CFI-A. CFI-I SE.
1952 C170B
N2444D s/n 20596
darhymes

Post by darhymes »

Wow! Thanks for all the great replies! I was pretty settled on the hat rack location but really like Larry’s floor mounted suggestion. Looks like a simple installation that can be easily mounted and, if necessary, changed or removed with minimal difficulty. It is also nice to have the plugs out of the way completely. I checked it out this morning and my plane has an inspection plate in the same location. Headset cords reach with no difficulty at all.

Thanks again. I’m really glad to have asked for some input on this!
Dustin Rhymes
'55 170B N4410B S/N 26754
'06 G550 “The Silver Bullet”