Instrument Panel Tilt (degrees)

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

brian.olson

Re: Instrument Panel Tilt (degrees)

Post by brian.olson »

Kyle:

Update for you. Stopped by the hangar this morning and snapped some photos.

First off ... here's the angle of the top horizontal door support while in an at-rest position. Note that along the length it varied by about .5 degree, but from my vantage point it averaged around 11 degrees for my plane.
62C Door Horizontal Angle.JPG

Angle of the panel when in an at-rest (3-point) position for my plane. I couldn't get a 100% accurate measurement from the floating panel, so this is as close as I can get. Let's call that 84 degrees from the floor. Note that this is not the panel angel when in straight-and-level.
62C Panel Angle.JPG
You should be able to calculate the actual angle of the panel when in straight-and-level flight by taking the the reported angles of the panel and the horizontal portion of the door while in a 3-point position into account. Let's call that a panel angle of 5-ish degrees or so if we assume the horizontal portion of the door is actually horizontal while in straight-and-level flight.

Specific to the G5:

I ran the auto-collaborate function on the G5 while the plane was at-rest (3-point position) and found the following:
62C G5 Auto Calibrate.JPG
I ran through the calculations in the install manual to try to adjust the offset number which would - theoretically - give a perfectly level reading during straight-and-level, but for whatever reason just couldn't get it to resolve correctly. Eventually, after trial-and-error, I landed on the following, adjusted, settings post-calibration:
62C G5 Final.JPG
Hope this helps ....

Brian
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
Kyle

Re: Instrument Panel Tilt (degrees)

Post by Kyle »

Brian, thanks so much for the info. After rechecking the angles, sure enough, it is off by 3 degrees. I contacted RC Allen yesterday and they said they can reset the tilt angle if I send it to them. Its a 200.00 flat fee to change it.

Kyle
Kyle Takakjian
Truro, MA
52 C-170B, N8087A