Cleveland brake conversions numbers

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rmorton

Cleveland brake conversions numbers

Post by rmorton »

I have a 1955 170B with the Cleveland brake conversion and I’m wanting to replace the pads and the o rings in the pistons. However, I don’t have the early logs that show that kit being installed and the only numbers I can find are on the calipers. Aircraft Spruce can’t cross reference the caliper number. The Parker website isn’t a lot of help and I’ve searched through the mx records here. Does anybody know if there were multiple Cleveland conversion kits for these planes through the years? Or does one size pads fit all on the Cleveland brakes? I believe the kit was installed on mine prior to 1978.

Thanks for any pointers!

Ryan
1955 170B - mostly original and been sitting a while.
Enjoying bringing her back to life!
rmorton

Re: Cleveland brake conversions numbers

Post by rmorton »

Here’s a photo
Attachments
F7695F02-53A6-4DC3-8541-FFBE1C0E4749.jpeg
rmorton

Post by rmorton »

More
Attachments
7A3ED640-7DD3-498C-AF3B-697DE77234A0.jpeg
F5AC34F3-B32A-42D5-AA88-723BD7F363F8.jpeg
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

The one stamped number on the tag is probably a serial number, not a part number all other numbers look like they are gone.

Here is what Spruce says the Cleveland kit consists of:
Cleveland 170 Conversion Kit part numbers.png
You caliper looks like the normal caliper installed in a kit. So goin under that assumption you know have all the part numbers for what you SHOULD have installed. Below are links that will take you to Parker Cleveland Product Catalog, and Component Maintenance Manuals as well as more info on each component in the STC for the 170. Once you identify a single part you have, you can cross reference each of these manuals to find what other components are used for similar applications. For example if you identify your wheel, you can probably figure out what caliper, rotor and brake pads where used with it on a similar aircraft such as a 172.

BTW at least you are trying to track all this down and not paying me to do it for you. This is the exact procedures I'd have to go through if you brought your 170 to the shop I work for. And it the exact egg hunt I'm gong to have to go through for a friends 172A this after noon. The only advantage I have is a parts department that I might be able to find examples to match to removed parts.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=12047
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=10500
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=16340
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
rmorton

Post by rmorton »

Thank you Bruce! After pouring over everything you posted, I believe you are right. I think the brake assembly I have is the 30-63a. That gets me everything I need!

So, my follow up question is: how did you come up with those threads so quickly? I’ve spent considerable time over several days on this forum trying to find that info. I searched “Cleveland”, “brakes”, etc and never came across those threads. I’m fairly tech savvy but I’m obviously not using the search function correctly.

Many thanks for taking the time to get me that info. I can figure out all my part numbers now.
sfarringer

Post by sfarringer »

From Textron's website:

TEXTRON AVIATION PART NUMBER
C163030-0108
BRAKE

Unit of Measure: EA
ECCN: 9A991
Want to see more?
REPLACEMENT
30-63A
Ragwing S/N 18073
Bruce Fenstermacher

rmorton wrote:Thank you Bruce! After pouring over everything you posted, I believe you are right. I think the brake assembly I have is the 30-63a. That gets me everything I need!

So, my follow up question is: how did you come up with those threads so quickly? I’ve spent considerable time over several days on this forum trying to find that info. I searched “Cleveland”, “brakes”, etc and never came across those threads. I’m fairly tech savvy but I’m obviously not using the search function correctly.

Many thanks for taking the time to get me that info. I can figure out all my part numbers now.
How did I find that so quickly? Well I have been using this forum since the very beginning over 20 years ago. Lots of this stuff I placed here and even had a small part in trying to organize it. I knew the two Parker documents you needed as I use them quite often at work and where I was likely to put them on the forum.

It is true the search engine at the forum has some limits or quarks. A glaring one is you can not search on a number. A trick to get around that is to use Google to search our site by including cessna170.org in the search criteria.

Bruce Fenstermacher

sfarringer wrote:From Textron's website:

TEXTRON AVIATION PART NUMBER
C163030-0108
BRAKE

Unit of Measure: EA
ECCN: 9A991
Want to see more?
REPLACEMENT
30-63A
Steve, how did you know that was a Textron part number? Oh I see, just type in the number at Google and it finds it at Textron. Well there you go.

rmorton

Post by rmorton »

Steve, that confirms it’s the 30-63a kit. Thank you.

I will try using Google to search the forum. Thanks again to both of you for the help. I should have asked a week ago! :roll:
sfarringer

Post by sfarringer »

I would say there still could be some uncertainty.
While the assembly appears to be interchangeable, it may not guarantee that internal piece parts are interchangeable. But it probably is pretty likely.
It may very well be that Cessna used Cleveland wheels and brakes, and simply re-identified them with their own part numbers. I also know that for a period Cessna used McCauley wheels and brakes, which were similar to Clevelands but not the same.

It also may be true that your wheels and brakes were not really installed per Cleveland's STC, but were simply obtained used from a 172. If actually an STC kit, it would seem likely that they would have Cleveland part numbers. Or perhaps Cessna had some alternative approval for changing wheels using their part numbers? In any event, having a paperwork trail usually does make it easier to figure out what you need when maintenance parts are required!
Ragwing S/N 18073
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

This ^^^^^

It’s why maintenance records are so important. When you get it all sorted out… I suggest you make an entry to the effect “Found previously installed Cleveland Brakes PNs 30-63A (or whatever you discover) installed in accordance with (whatever STC or installation method you discern or decide)”
Your IA may actually want to submit a Form 337 and would be correct to do so, IMO.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Ryan,
I've looked through the various C-150/172/177 IPC's for p/n C163030-0108 which is found on your caliper. Only odd number suffixes are found in these books; i.e. -0103, -0105, -0107. They all cross to 30-63. I wrote about Cessna's conversion kit from Goodyear to Cleveland brakes here. There you will find a link to SK150-17C. I have an earlier version of that Service Kit: SK150-17A. Here's a clip from it:
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
My guess is that, for spares, Cessna only stocked brakes set up for the left gear, like all the Cessna IPC illustrations show. Even number assemblies; i.e. -0104, -0106, -0108 are not stocked or cataloged. In fact, the conversion kit SK150-17C, (August 1989 revision date), includes two brake assemblies for the left gear and none for the right side. Instead of stocking and cataloging a brake assembly for the right gear, in the various IPC's, they include a footnote with the double asterisk:
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
I think that your -0108 brake assembly was part of a early conversion kit which came with fittings and torque plate bushings already reversed. If I'm correct, the brake housing you pictured was part of a right gear brake assembly. If there's a similar tag on the other housing it should end in -0107.
Gary