Flap gap seal removal...

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

mjgardne

Flap gap seal removal...

Post by mjgardne »

Hi,

I have a C170B that has flap gap seals on it. I know that this is a debated topic, but I want to remove them from my airplane. The removal seems pretty easy... centerpunch the rivits, drill them out, and remove the gap seals. What I am having trouble visualizing is how to insert the new rivits. The only ones that I've had experience with are the kind used on cars with the little rod in the middle. I assume that I would insert the rivit into the sheet metal and into some kind of wing ribbing structure. After inserting one, I would use a special tool to draw the rivit tight and finalize its placement. Any details about how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
GAHorn

sheet metal work

Post by GAHorn »

(This is written with a :wink: )
This is a really easy one. All you have to do is get an A&P mechanic to do this for you. It will be much less painfull to your pocketbook than if you make one little slip with the drill, or if you later find your airplane grounded because your paperwork doesn't account for the fact that you've "unmodified" your airplane and done so in an unapproved manner using unapproved methods and materials. If you get a particularly aggressive inspector's attention, you can lose whatever airman certificates you hold and incur some interesting legal fees and fines.
The "pop" rivets to which you refer are not approved for aircraft structural use. While it's fun to make repairs yourself, it can quickly become a disappointment if/when the repair bill rolls around which included undoing the damage untrained hands and unapproved materials and methods cause.
The kinds of maintenance a pilot/owner can perform are listed in FAR43 Appendix A, "Preventive Maintenance", found in most FAR/AIM publications and copies of the Regs.
mjgardne

Post by mjgardne »

:oops:

Yeah, I agree with you that a qualified AP should do this work. I was given a quote of 6 or 8 hours to remove/replace the few rivits that hold the flap gap seal in place. I was trying to find out just how big a job this REALLY is to do. That's why I asked the detailed questions about how I would do this job. Also, I was curious because I've never done this kind of repair. I knew that the requirements/tools are different than my experiences working with sheet metal on cars... Given that this is so completely related to how/whether my airplane flies/crashes... (:D), I definitely would have an AP do the job.

Thanks for the comments...

Mike
zero.one.victor

seal removal

Post by zero.one.victor »

Mike,if it was me,I'd talk it over with the IA that does your annuals. Chances are you can do the removal of the flap-gap seals & the installation of the new rivets (Cherry-max?) under his supervision & he can then fill out a Form 337 & logbook entry documenting the removal of the seals. Kinda like doing an "owner-assisted annual". Some IA's do this kinda thing all the time,some not at all, depends on the mechanic. I'm no great shakes as a wrench,but I like doing what I can on my airplane--it helps keep the costs down,and lets me learn more about how the thing is built & how it works.

Eric
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

MIke, that is terrific advice from Eric. I have been thru 4 annuals now, and each year the IA has allowed me to do more and more of the work. It is amazing how much you can learn, it is even more amazing how much more there is to learn :o If you are lucky enough to have an IA that will not only allow you to do the work but also throw in some education along the way, the airplane seems less and less mysterious - much different than never being able to figure out the opposite sex :wink:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
mjgardne

Post by mjgardne »

Hi Gang,

Thanks for the ideas about mentoring with an IA... There are a few here and I'll look into it.

Have a great weekend!

Mike
zero.one.victor

Fairbanks IA

Post by zero.one.victor »

Mike,there's a 170 owner in the Fairbanks area named Timbre Holton & I believe he's an IA that works for a Part 135 outfit,plus does some stuff on his own. The name Timbreline Aviation kinda sticks in my mind. You might look him up & talk it over with him. He's a 170 Assn member & is listed in the member directory. he also has a website,I put a link to it on the old yahoo club site (I think) .

Eric
mjgardne

Post by mjgardne »

Thanks, Eric! I'm in the CAP here, and I think he's a member too... Jeez! I'll ask him about it the next time I see him.

Thanks, again!

Mike
mit

Post by mit »

mjgardne wrote:Thanks, Eric! I'm in the CAP here, and I think he's a member too... Jeez! I'll ask him about it the next time I see him.

Thanks, again!

Mike
Mike give me a call i'm in the book, will help if i have the time. got to get mine ready the pond is about to open up!!
tim berg, not timber but close
Tim