Doyne conversion

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Gary Gades

Doyne conversion

Post by Gary Gades »

I'm new to the forum, but have been looking for a while now so please go easy on me. I recently purchsed a 53 170b with an O-340 in it from a friend that upgraded to a 180. Had another friend that was mutual to myself and the seller do somewhat of a prebuy that turned up "clean" and that's where the fun starts. After getting the plane in my possesion and looking through everything, we have issues. The biggest is the paperwork for the engine. There is a log entry with the original tag for the Doyne conversion kit and reference to the 337, but i have no STC or copy of the 337, nor does the FAA have record of the 337 being filed in 1957. We have talked at length with them about options and the best we can come up with is to find someone with a similar setup and try to get copies of paperwork from them. The current STC holder is D'Shannon here in Minnesota, and we finally did get a response from them, but there are family legal issues and sounds like a dead end.
Is there anyone that would have papers that we could possibly get copies of or maybe someone removed a Doyne setup and still has the papers around? Not sure what else to do. I am willing to compensate
bagarre

Re: Doyne conversion

Post by bagarre »

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on buying a great airplane!
If you're not already a member of the 170 Association (different from a registered forum user) I'd encourage you to join!

I think there it at least one person around here that has an O-340 installed but it's a rare motor as you probably know.
Hopefully someone pipes up with some info that can help.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

That someone would be Jim McIntosh if memory serves me. He stoppes by the forum on a regular bases. He may not have the 0-340 version though it might be for the 0-320.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Bruce Fenstermacher

We have the a copy of a cover sheet for KWAD (Doyn) STC SA3-13 in our members library.

c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Bruce is correct, I have a O-320 B3B in mine. Eric Henderson has the 340 in his and is quite happy with it. I last met up with him at the last Cal. North- south flyin.
I have a copy of the 340 engine install drawings on a roll of 3 foot wide paper if that's what someone is looking for. And I'm wondering whether it should be in our library?
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

c170b53 wrote:Bruce is correct, I have a O-320 B3B in mine. Eric Henderson has the 340 in his and is quite happy with it. I last met up with him at the last Cal. North- south flyin.
I have a copy of the 340 engine install drawings on a roll of 3 foot wide paper if that's what someone is looking for. And I'm wondering whether it should be in our library?
A great way to get it placed into the library is to take it to a large-scanner (such as Kinko's) and have them scan it into a PDF file...then send it to Bruce or myself.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Gary Gades

Post by Gary Gades »

Yes, i'm an officially paid member as of today. I may need those drawings too. I found an old post from 2009 that Eric Henderson had replied to about his 340 and have sent him an e mail. Believe it or not, the post was about a member from alaska that was looking at a 170 here in minnesota that turned out to be a real dud. It's the same one that i wound up with. Long story, bad ending.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I'll look into doing that George thks
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Gary Gades wrote:Yes, i'm an officially paid member as of today. I may need those drawings too. I found an old post from 2009 that Eric Henderson had replied to about his 340 and have sent him an e mail. Believe it or not, the post was about a member from alaska that was looking at a 170 here in minnesota that turned out to be a real dud. It's the same one that i wound up with. Long story, bad ending.
Don't give up, Gary! There's lots of us here once-condemned as "duds"....and virtually ALL of us have turned out all-right...(with the exception of Ol'Gar and maybe one or two others, of course.) :twisted:

Seriously, one mans junk is another's treasure, and just because it doesn't have the paperwork.... (yet)... doesn't mean it won't safely FLY! :wink:
I'll bet we can all pitch-in together and find a way to get it settled-out.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Gary Gades

Post by Gary Gades »

I recieved an e mail from Bill Green offering help but cant't rreply back to him for some reason, mail comes back undeliverable.
Bruce Fenstermacher

c170b53 wrote: I have a copy of the 340 engine install drawings on a roll of 3 foot wide paper if that's what someone is looking for. And I'm wondering whether it should be in our library?
Jim, it's obvious you've been north in the cold a bit to long and need a trip south to the states to clear your head, we understand. OF COURSE THE DRAWINGS SHOULD BE IN OUR LIBRARY. And WHEN you get them scanned in the next day or so send them to me first then George because I'm use to working at a faster pace keeping up with a GREEN airplane and will post them in the same place and manner as our other Doyn info, a process George isn't up to speed on.

Bruce Fenstermacher

Gary Gades wrote:I recieved an e mail from Bill Green offering help but cant't rreply back to him for some reason, mail comes back undeliverable.
Sent you a private message with Bill's contact from the 2013 Directory info including the email address he has with us. Unfortunately we have two members who could go by Bill Green so I'll send both. As a member you will probably get a 2011 Directory shortly and a new one in a month or to when printed but it is available now for download at our members only page: http://cessna170.org/forums/membersOnly/members.php

blueldr

Post by blueldr »

If this airplane has been operating satisfactorily for a number of years in this configuration and the flying can be documented, there is a possibility that someone smart enough among the FUZZ will OK it.
Some years ago another member quizzed me on getting approval for the installation of a set of C-175 wings on a airplane the owner had been flying for about fifteen years without knowing that the wings were not stock. I had no idea how to help him.
The airplane had been brought to him for a annual and he could not find anything in the logs about it having C-175 wings. The owner said he bought the airplane and had been flying it for fifteen years that way. He didn't even know that the wings were not stock. His old IA was gone and he brought it to a new one and so forth.
Long story short, the FUZZ signed off on it on he basis of the fifteen years of documented successful use.
BL
Gary Gades

Post by Gary Gades »

Well, we did talk to the fuzz about it on two different ocasions with two different people. One said exactly that and to go ahead and sign it off, but to be advised that it isn't kosher and that something like an accident or incident may get both the faa and my insurance company looking. The other fuzz was a little more forcefull, so i am digging for papers.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

blueldr wrote:If this airplane has been operating satisfactorily for a number of years in this configuration and the flying can be documented, there is a possibility that someone smart enough among the FUZZ will OK it. ... Long story short, the FUZZ signed off on it on he basis of the fifteen years of documented successful use.
AC 43-210
Gary