'53 C-170B Instrument Panel

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

'53 C-170B Instrument Panel

Post by Sticky »

I've just purchased a '53 170B that is in great shape other than a droopy headliner, non-stock control wheels, and an original panel that was neglected and is missing the original cover plate.

The headliner will be changed this winter, the stock control wheels have been sourced, inspected, powder coated, and replaced (thanks to this site), and I'm in the process of planning the panel resuscitation. The attitude indicator and DG, while functional, are due for update. So rather than search for the missing cover, it's time to replace some of the instruments, update the layout (as space allows) and cut a new panel sans cover.

I have the software, "XPanel 5000" that has a huge database of instruments and avionics to use; however, there is no panel for the 170B in the panel database. They do have the '56 C172, which is close. The horizontal dimensions are fine and the control columns are in the correct place but the vertical dimensions seem too tall.

So, before I go and reinvent the wheel and design a new template to work from, has anyone here used this software for their 170B and could send me a copy of their blank template?

That said, if someone has an original panel cover for a '53, in good condition, that they would be willing to sell I would consider keeping the panel original and restoring the AI and DG.

Thanks.
--
Bill Snedden
C-GZRD
1953 Cessna 170B (#25597)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLBHblJNFQE