cessna 170 rigging

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

roamak

cessna 170 rigging

Post by roamak »

Some place I saw a pdf or document for rigging the 170. Anybody have a copy they can email? Looking for aileron and flap settings/measurements as Im tired of having a heavy left wing. Been that way for years. Time to do something about it.
Thanks!
Greg
N87045
'53 170B
0-360 180H.P.
GAHorn

Re: cessna 170 rigging

Post by GAHorn »

Greg, if the ailerons and flaps are properly rigged... a heavy wing is corrected by adjustment of the eccentric bushings at the rear spar attach.
See the mx library for rigging instructions.
Here's a link to the document:

http://cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=8196
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

gahorn wrote:Greg, if the ailerons and flaps are properly rigged... a heavy wing is corrected by adjustment of the eccentric bushings at the rear spar attach.
After you make sure your flying in trim by making sure your needle and ball are installed level. :wink:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
roamak

Post by roamak »

Thanks thats what I was looking for.
N87045
'53 170B
0-360 180H.P.
roamak

Post by roamak »

So a quick trip to the airport and forgot my dang tape measure :oops: With flaps up the passenger side has zero play, its tight. Pilot side has a half inch or little less of play. Defiantly a difference in the two. Flaps down, both have about a half inch or little less. Not knowing much about the rigging (but going to find out....) any tips or pointers about this? I would think they should be the same as far as the push/pull rods and the amount play they have.
My A&P will do the work, I just want to be a little more educated....
Thanks!
N87045
'53 170B
0-360 180H.P.
Bruce Fenstermacher

On a B model the play in the flaps is wear in the flap track and rollers. You will want to get/fabricate a gauge and make sure they are in tolerance. When dealing with control surfaces which have play for what ever reason but still found to be airworthy, one has to consider the position of the control not at rest on the ramp but under load in flight. For example the one flap might have play and not be in the same position at rest but in flight they are the same.

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

From the rigging instructions for the B-model flaps:

Recheck flaps to be sure they are tight in the wells in the up position. Check for wear in the flap tracks. The max allowable wear is 0.030” or max opening is 0.6035”. The max wear on the side should not exceed 10% of the thickness

Although the instructions state that the flaps should be "tight" in the up position... that is not what is meant when taken in context with a pre-flight inspection. The flaps are allowably slightly loose/free. But in flight, they will lift up snugly into the well.
The rigging instructions are intended to remove cable slack and the flaps can be physically held up tight when rigging the system.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
2723D

Post by 2723D »

Looking for the rigging document posted by Gahorn in this thread, I'm a full member but don't seem to have access to this file for some reason. Can anyone help me find this in the proper place? I'm looking to re rig a 1948 170, the right wing wants to drop all the time.
Bruce Fenstermacher

2723D wrote:Looking for the rigging document posted by Gahorn in this thread, I'm a full member but don't seem to have access to this file for some reason. Can anyone help me find this in the proper place? I'm looking to re rig a 1948 170, the right wing wants to drop all the time.
Shane, you can now access the the file. Let me know if you can't get it.

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

2723D wrote:Looking for the rigging document posted by Gahorn in this thread, I'm a full member but don't seem to have access to this file for some reason. Can anyone help me find this in the proper place? I'm looking to re rig a 1948 170, the right wing wants to drop all the time.
Here’s a link direct to the post: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=8196