****Alert**** - F+M Oil filter adapter gasket fail

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Re: ****Alert**** - F+M Oil filter adapter gasket fail

Post by 170C »

George, am I imaging it :? or did/does the association have a thread chaser for the F&M oil filter adapter that can be loaned to members? Maybe I am thinking of the push rod tube expander :?: That might be a good opportunity for someone with some extra cash laying around burning holes in their pockets to purchase one and donate it to the association for loan to members. I don't know how many members' planes have the F&M adapter.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

FM-Enterprises offers such a tool, but neither TIC170A nor Members I know of have such.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
baboss

Post by baboss »

I bought the last seal kit from Spruce the other day and they now show on backorder. Someone on the 172 forums said they haven't been able to get ahold of anyone at F&M lately and that the phone seemed disconnected.
Hope that's not the case!
I'm guessing this might be what the new gasket is made out of: http://www.garlock.com/en/product/leak-gard-style-3750
Brock Boss
KAAA - Lincoln, IL
1967 C172H
Showboatsix

Post by Showboatsix »

Ok gentlemen,
Here is the latest news on the F&M oil filter debacle. Two months ago I contacted Bob about my oil filter adapter issues
1. Adapter was purchased back in 1997. S/N: 00097.
2. The threaded male adapter never would thread into the case properly, only appx. 3 threads then would get very tight.
3. Bob suggested I send the adapter back for a machine mod to the barrel tip and to upgrade to the newer gasket style.
4. He also suggested I borrow his tap to clean my engine case threads (did that no change)
5. At this annual, started in March, I again contacted Bob to the ongoing problem with my adapter.
6. I took my male adapter to two different FBO's on the field who also do engine o/h's, I attempted to screw my male adapter stem into those engines. The same thing occurred.
7. Taking photos and listing my issues and historical data, I contacted Bob again (March this year)
8. Bob was very helpful the. And after he received the parts he stated that he wS going to install a new male adapter and return it to me.
9. After no parts came in UPS I again contacted Bob to see where my adapter was, his statement was that "he had a address mixup".
After giving him my correct address he stated that it would be sent out that day.(mid April)
I went to two weeks of Flightsafety school, came home to no adapter!
I attempted to call him and bot his phone numbers were disconnected, I tried today to call and it did go to voice mail which stated "this mailbox is full and cannot receive new messages. Goodbye."
So as of today I sit with no adapter, no way to reach Bob, an airplane unflyable for almost 3 months now!
I ordered a factory o-300 screen today to get my airplane back flying.
The bottom line is: Bob does not have the honor to return my calls, or my product, but then this is "aviation", let the buyer beware!
N6863A
UAO, Aurora Oregon
Hanger 26
56' C-172, With Conventional Gear Conversion
S/N 28963
N6863A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I'm sorry to read this. My own dealings with Bob have been very good and I don't necessarily think he has an "honor" problem. I am wondering if he has a health problem and is unable to conduct business at this time. I will follow up with contacts in Borger and post again.

I'm one of the hundreds who've never experienced any problem whatsoever with my FM Enterprises filter adaptor system.
The earliest adaptors were marketed through El Reno Aviation as the "El Reno" adaptor. Those adaptors were apparently mfr'd by
Floyd Jones (FM inventor/founder) in Borger.
When Jones obtained his own STC for the adaptor he marketed it as we know it.

It originally used only AN900 copper crush gaskets but complaints of oil seepage led to an "improved" fiber gasket which required a different machining process at the face. This latest adaptor has enjoyed a good reputation and I've had mine in-place for over 14 years now without any problem.

I really like the absence of any hoses and/or connectors and hope this is a temporary matter with the company. Again, I'll follow up with contacts in Borger and report back.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

I must have caught the just in time, ordered mine in February from them and had them in the mail in less than a week.

Joe
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I have telephoned my contact in Borger, TX who promises to drive to the FM Enterprises business office and ask Bob to call me. As far as they know, he's still doing business and no complaints have been received at the airport where he is well known.

I'll report again when/if he calls.
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

I ordered the gasket kit from F & M just 6-8 weeks ago and they answered right away and had them in the mail pronto - no problems.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
Showboatsix

Post by Showboatsix »

Here is the latest, I have left 4 voice mails on Bob's phone recorder, asking, even begging to have my oil filter adapter returned to me, all have gone unanswered.
If he is having financial trouble, or legal trouble, or illness at least he could get somebody to leave a message or call.
Still no adapter.
Dean
UAO, Aurora Oregon
Hanger 26
S/N 28963
N6863A
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

What's the status of the the screen replacement? Got one somewhere if you need it.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

Is there another source for the gasket set? I have emailed and called F&M with no success, and Spruce are out. Would like to change this at my annual in early July.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

I have one kit but it's not for sale. I just replaced mine last month but if these things are going to be scarce, I'd rather hold on to this one.

The paper gasket is pretty simple and easy to make tho.

It's 0.06" thick, 1.75" OD and 2.25" ID
The material is a hard paper with a waxy feel and is referred to as a Leakgaurd Fiber Gasket in the paperwork
Showboatsix

Post by Showboatsix »

Aryana wrote:
baboss wrote: I'm guessing this might be what the new gasket is made out of: http://www.garlock.com/en/product/leak-gard-style-3750
If we could verify this is the same material, making a circular die to cut out some new ones shouldn't be too hard.
Easy to make harder than hell to get FAA approval!

I think I have two sets available ..... $1000.00 each!
UAO, Aurora Oregon
Hanger 26
S/N 28963
N6863A
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Owner made part. Take it to an auto shop and say "make me one of these"

Or just use two copper crush gaskets and they not to twist the unit when removing the filter.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If I were to make my own...it'd likely be from this product... (at $1.21 ea plus shipping, eight of them would cost $17 to your door.)
All that would be necessary would be to cut/stamp out the center to 1.75 I.D. with a gasket "cookie cutter" die.

http://www.equalseal.com/product-p/9850rg15006-.75.htm