****Alert**** - F+M Oil filter adapter gasket fail

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rnealon1

Re: ****Alert**** - F+M Oil filter adapter gasket fail

Post by rnealon1 »

I am also complying with this SB, however I do not find a Revision B, only Revision A December 19 2019, on the Tempest website or anywhere else on the www.

The SB shows the fiber gasket, but the Installation Instructions Revision 1 02/21/2020 show the revision is for Copper Gaskets. The ICA Revision B 03/05/2020 is also for Copper Gaskets.

If there is a Revision B somewhere I would like to find it.

Thanks,

Bob
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT
bella

Post by bella »

You found the revision I was talking about dated 03/05/2020. You are correct ICA revision B. I am sure it will be included in the AD.
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

From the MX Library - Service Alerts. As stated above it requires using two cooper gaskets and NO fiber gasket.

download/file.php?id=16076
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
Karl Towle

Post by Karl Towle »

At the urging of a friend who experienced an oil starvation event caused by the issue with this filter, I'm posting some additional information. In his case, he almost lost his Swift, with he and his son aboard. In his words, he was 90 seconds away from being in a situation where he couldn't have put it down with any probability of walking away.

Even now, it appears the FAA has not yet issued an AD on this adapter. A big problem for owners/operators is the various names under which this particular adapter was sold. "The adapters are currently made by Stratus Tool Technologies (part of the Tempest Aero Group) but are often referred to by their original designer and manufacturer, F&M Enterprises." I've even heard them referred to as El Reno adapters, as they were a main source in the early years. Here are an assortment of articles on the subject:

NTSB's Report here: https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/Acc ... SR2005.pdf
Flying Magazine article https://www.flyingmag.com/story/news/nt ... mendation/
AvWeb article: https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/nts ... -adapters/

The current service bulletin is here: https://tempestplus.com/wp-content/uplo ... -19-19.pdf

I'll add a bit to this message. In a conversation with Stratus customer support, I questioned the confusing guidance in the SB. To clarify things, they said to just remove and reinstall using the current installation instructions here: https://tempestplus.com/wp-content/uplo ... Inst-1.pdf

I'm currently doing an annual on an O-300-D powered 170B and plan on complying with the SB. I'll try to post some more info when done.
rnealon1

Post by rnealon1 »

So I just had this service bulletin done, but the problem is that the SB specifically calls for the fiber gasket, while the revised ICA calls for 2 copper gaskets. In the eyes of my IA, there is no way to comply with both the SB and the ICA since they contradict each other. He left the fiber gasket in place.

Bob
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

rnealon1 wrote:In the eyes of my IA, there is no way to comply with both the SB and the ICA since they contradict each other. He left the fiber gasket in place.
So he is OK with not following the the current ICA but instead stay with the product that is failing and caused the revision of the ICA? And he's faulted to the side of using a product the NTSB has called on the FAA to issue an AD for. I'm also pretty sure reusing the fiber gasket is a violation of the original installation as well so he's wrong twice.

You might want to get him to reconsider. You might want to get him to pick up the phone and call Stratus and or Tempest and ask them. I'm not an IA, I'm only an apprentice A&P and I'd be expected to make the phone call and get a definitive answer.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

On Sept. 4th, 2020 I wrote here that a guy at Tempest told me that this Service Bulletin "will be removed shortly". Unbelievable from a liability standpoint that this SB has not been removed or revised.
Gary
mmcmillan2

Post by mmcmillan2 »

I called Tempest a few weeks ago. They advised me to follow the current installation instructions (using two copper gaskets), and have my mechanic note the installation revision number in the logbook entry.

I too am surprised the SB hasn’t been deleted, or revised.
170B owner, KCFD, CFI(I), ATP Multi
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

rnealon1 wrote:I am also complying with this SB, however I do not find a Revision B, only Revision A December 19 2019, on the Tempest website or anywhere else on the www.

The SB shows the fiber gasket, but the Installation Instructions Revision 1 02/21/2020 show the revision is for Copper Gaskets. The ICA Revision B 03/05/2020 is also for Copper Gaskets.

If there is a Revision B somewhere I would like to find it.

Thanks,

Bob
Revision B is in the MX Library: viewtopic.php?f=39&p=144195#p144195

Revision B supercedes previous SBs so no “removal” of prior is pertinent. The latest Installation instructions and Rev B are in agreement, with the installation instructions adding info on how to modify the adaptor for improved safety-wire attachment.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)