Caution about 90-degree brass valve inner tubes

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Caution about 90-degree brass valve inner tubes

Post by GAHorn »

Desser Tire is an excellent source for tires and inner tubes.
But I do not recommend their 90-degree brass Schrader-valve inner tubes, marketed as their "Easy Flate" valve stem inner tube.
Does NOT actually fit as depicted! THIS advert pic is not a C-170 wheel.
Does NOT actually fit as depicted! THIS advert pic is not a C-170 wheel.
tubeasyvalve__94106__31779_zoom.jpg (109.31 KiB) Viewed 8225 times
I ordered two of them thinking they would more easily accommodate re-servicing with air beneath wheel pants.
They both damaged my Cleveland wheels by creating a sharp edge at the Schrader-valve opening which subsequently cut ordinary inner-tube valves causing the regular tubes to leak and fail in an unrepairable fashion.

$110.00 wasted! :cry:

The first thing I experienced after installation was that the 90-degree angle does not exit the wheel as advertised/anticipated/promised. Instead, the valve-stem end lays hard against the wheel-rim making it almost impossible to re-service the inner tube with air because a common air-chuck cannot fit upon the valve due to interference with the wheel rim. Even a moderate effort to fill the tube with air SNAPPED the brass Schrader valve completely at the mid-point bend!
The inner tube cannot be re-positioned in the wheel to accommodate that bend in order for it to exit as depicted!

(In my disgust, I reverted to the installation of regular rubber Schrader-valve tubes, ...the first of which immediately leaked at the base of the valve. It was thought that perhaps the tube had been possibly damaged at the wheel-half, but upon removal and inflation to test that theory it was discovered to be due to a cut valve. Further disgusted (and not discovering the sharp edge caused by the failed brass tube) I removed it and installed another, ....which promptly was also ruined with a cut. The cut was virtually invisible, as if made by a razor at the base of the Schrader valve.
Upon very close examination, the sharp edge was discovered on the inside-surface of the wheel's Schrader port. Careful dressing of the wheel with a small Swiss file and polishing with abrasive-paper was necessary to remove the damage within the passageway.
A third inner-tube was finally installed with success.

In my opinion: The 90-degree brass Schrader inner tubes are not suitable with Cleveland wheels as they do not properly exit so as to be re-inflation serviceable, and their design can create a sharp edge which could seriously damage the wheel.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)