C-145-2H Engine Overhaul

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Karl Towle

Re: C-145-2H Engine Overhaul

Post by Karl Towle »

You must have gotten the last Millennium cylinders available. No one has any in stock and they don't know when they will be available again.
Maybe I just managed to snag the last set of 6 Millennium cylinders from Dart Aircraft parts in Waco. Other sources I tried were: A.E.R.O., Inc. in Illinois, Aircraft Specialties Services Tulsa, and J & J Air Parts, Inc. in Pleasanton, Tex.

I was told that recently, the shops that used to weld cracked cylinders have stopped, citing cost effectiveness, and the difficulty of access in the small cylinders. Whatever the reason, there apparently is a sudden shortage of these cylinders. When I talked to Superior, they admitted they are 7 to 9 months behind with their production of these cylinders.

As to balance, the separately boxed pistons came inside the same box as the cylinder. There was a 2 letter "piston weight code" on the piston box - in my case "WJ." All six "WJ" pistons weighed in at 722 grams. I'm really looking forward to feeling this engine come back to life - hopefully next week.
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

I don't think it is just the O-300 cylinders. We have had trouble getting a full set of O-360 and O-470 cylinders at different times this past year. I think they make them in runs and you have to wait for the next run if they are gone from inventory.

There used to be a guy on our field that overhauled cylinders. You could get it done pretty cheap. But he is probably in his 90's now and no longer does them. He still has all the tools and equipment in his shop. I hope he passes that knowledge on to someone else before its too late. Like most things nowadays, people would rather buy new than reuse. So the market for them as dried up. My old cylinders are still in good shape. I measured a couple of them and they are still within tolerances.
As to balance, the separately boxed pistons came inside the same box as the cylinder. There was a 2 letter "piston weight code" on the piston box - in my case "WJ." All six "WJ" pistons weighed in at 722 grams. I'm really looking forward to feeling this engine come back to life - hopefully next week.
I write the weight of each piston on the cylinders with a sharpie when I installed them. Then it's easy to put the cylinders on the correct order. Were your pistons "ECI" pistons?
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
Karl Towle

Post by Karl Towle »

Believe it or not, they were Continental pistons.
frasergu

Post by frasergu »

Hi, were the ring gaps checked before beings installed on the pistons? Did you have to grind any?
Thanks
Chris
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

Hi. There was no need to modify the rings.
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
Stankasica

Post by Stankasica »

Anyone know why none of the pictures on this thread are coming up or is it my computer?
Stan Kasica N2458D
KSNC. Chester,Ct
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

It's not your computer. They do not come up on mine either.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Stankasica wrote:Anyone know why none of the pictures on this thread are coming up or is it my computer?
It’s not your computer. Many of the older posts in the forums did not make the “jump” to the new hosting service and associated administration changes. Part of the problem is lack of regular updates of the BBS software as our previous host approached retirement. We inquired of the new host if any “back-ups” were available and that was negative. There have also been unintended, accidental, and unthinking erasure-consequences which unfortunately cannot be reversed.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Stankasica wrote:Anyone know why none of the pictures on this thread are coming up or is it my computer?
The images that do not show up were all linked to the personal website of the person, nippaero who posted them. They were not uploaded into the forum software and placed on our server. Nippaero's server is no longer available, they deleted the photos or the link has changed to something else and so the link stored at the forum is no good. That is why they aren't showing up and no backup would have fixed that.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yes, in THIS particular instance/thread … the pics were stored in another website (no longer available) and linked to the discussion. The explanation I offered applies to a large quantity of missing pics throughout the forums.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)