C-145-2H Engine Overhaul

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

nippaero

Re: C-145-2H Engine Overhaul

Post by nippaero »

DivCo called me back this morning and they have a replacement C-145-2H case ready to ship to me for $1500. They are going to take care of moving the data plate to the new case. So that seems like the best option for the money and timeframe. I really appreciate the responses and PMs from everyone.

Bruce. Thanks for that info. I'm going to go review it today.
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

I looked at the X30014 IPC and now see how you cross referenced those. I would like to have as close to original configuration for my 170. So I am glad they were able to come up with a -2H case match. Most of the remaining parts to my original -2H engine will be used again. Crank, cam, sump, accessory case, rods etc. Some things will be new such as the cylinders and all new hardware.

I do have some other questions

Induction system. It looks like I have a magnesium induction. Were all the C-145's magnesium and the O-300 changed to aluminum? What are you guys doing with the magnesium parts since they cannot be alodined? Painting them? Or is it best to leave them uncoated?

Exhaust risers. Mine are in "ok" shape. I was debating whether or not to replace them or not. There are no cracks or leaks that I can see. Can these be bead blasted and painted or even ceramic coated (Jet Hot)? Or is that a no-no. I was leaning towards leaving the exhaust system alone for now since I have so many "other" things going on with the plane.
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
canav8

Post by canav8 »

nippaero wrote:I looked at the X30014 IPC and now see how you cross referenced those. I would like to have as close to original configuration for my 170. So I am glad they were able to come up with a -2H case match. Most of the remaining parts to my original -2H engine will be used again. Crank, cam, sump, accessory case, rods etc. Some things will be new such as the cylinders and all new hardware.

I do have some other questions

Induction system. It looks like I have a magnesium induction. Were all the C-145's magnesium and the O-300 changed to aluminum? What are you guys doing with the magnesium parts since they cannot be alodined? Painting them? Or is it best to leave them uncoated?

Exhaust risers. Mine are in "ok" shape. I was debating whether or not to replace them or not. There are no cracks or leaks that I can see. Can these be bead blasted and painted or even ceramic coated (Jet Hot)? Or is that a no-no. I was leaning towards leaving the exhaust system alone for now since I have so many "other" things going on with the plane.
Legally, if you are not working with an A&P or are an A&P and you are in your engine, it doesnt matter if you Jet Hot your exhaust. A word of caution. There are FAA representatives that read these boards.
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
The FAA

Post by The FAA »

canav8 wrote:There are FAA representatives that read these boards.
lmao yup
Last edited by The FAA on Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Federal Aviation Administration | Classic Certified Aircraft Compliance Division

6425 Denning Ave
Oklahoma City, OK 73169

"We're from the FAA, and we're here to help"
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

Lol,
The FAA has nothing to worry about. My engine is being built by an IA who has worked in an engine shop who used to put out 30 motors a month. I am logging my experience in a nice little black AMT log book so I can hopefully be an A&P someday. Learn as you go and ask a lot of questions. This will be the fifth engine this year I have helped with. O-320, two O-470'S, TIO-540 and now this C-145.

Now I could go over there and ask him all these questions but I am more interested in what other members are doing or have done to their exhaust risers or if coating them is even ok to do. The reason I ask is I built a Challenger II a couple years ago and coated the Rotax exhaust using Jet Hot. ( I know this was experimental and has nothing to do with my C-145) I really liked the finish and how well it folded up. I was just wondering if the same thing could be done to our certified C-145. Its not really changing the part just covering or coating it. Do the regs address this?
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

I forgot to mention that my new baffling from Airforms arrived today. I got the hammered finish. The parts look really nice.

1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
canav8

Post by canav8 »

nippaero wrote:Lol,
The FAA has nothing to worry about. My engine is being built by an IA who has worked in an engine shop who used to put out 30 motors a month. I am logging my experience in a nice little black AMT log book so I can hopefully be an A&P someday. Learn as you go and ask a lot of questions. This will be the fifth engine this year I have helped with. O-320, two O-470'S, TIO-540 and now this C-145.

Now I could go over there and ask him all these questions but I am more interested in what other members are doing or have done to their exhaust risers or if coating them is even ok to do. The reason I ask is I built a Challenger II a couple years ago and coated the Rotax exhaust using Jet Hot. ( I know this was experimental and has nothing to do with my C-145) I really liked the finish and how well it folded up. I was just wondering if the same thing could be done to our certified C-145. Its not really changing the part just covering or coating it. Do the regs address this?
In the experimental world you can do just about anything you want to do. In Certified aircraft you are incredibly restricted. Thats why most people go experimental and it is so popular. You cannot put exotic coatings on exhaust. The concert is in crackingand corrosion usually and whether it can be seen,just for your info. Im glad you are pursuing getting your A&P with the Logbook. When it comes time, the FAA will welcome you with open arms when you go to get the endorsement to take the writtens. Well Done. D
Doug
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I'm not familiar with ceramic coating other than engine paint that is suppose to be ceramic. Why would a ceramic coating be considered an illegal modification to the exhaust risers.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:I'm not familiar with ceramic coating other than engine paint that is suppose to be ceramic. Why would a ceramic coating be considered an illegal modification to the exhaust risers.
Because folks interpret the rules as if it's not explicitly permitted, it's explicitly denied.
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

Would that be like powder coating the baffle parts above?
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
canav8

Post by canav8 »

nippaero wrote:Would that be like powder coating the baffle parts above?
That has to be answered in the STC. If the FAA approved the STC with those coatings then yes.
Doug
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

As far as I remember the induction system ( spiders, elbows and the oil sump), made from a magnesium alloy, should be surface treated if you have blasted off the finish and want them repainted. Not all paint processes are compatible, don't ask me how I know :oops:
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Ok I stand corrected, Elbows? The only stuff I've seen has been magnesium but the difference in metal colour and finish should make it easy to spot.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

Mine are definitely magnesium. We had some aluminum ones in the shop from an O-300 and you can definitely tell the Magnesium ones are lighter.

I spent some time today cleaning up the induction manifolds by bead blasting them.

I also took apart all the exhaust clamps. Almost all of the bolts were rusted so I had to cut them out.

What is the best way to cleanup the stainless mufflers, shields and exhaust pipes? Will oven cleaner take off the varnish? I was thinking about trying to polish them up a little if I can get them clean. Looking for suggestions here.

1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

Did you paint the entire muffler and pipes or just the shroud? I would love to see a picture if you happen to have one. I've heard good things about that paint before. I bead blasted the parts this evening. I will go over everything and look closely for cracks. Thinking about pressure checking them for leaks if I can find some stoppers to plug them up.
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032