Building a glove compartment (box)

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

daedaluscan

Re: Building a glove compartment (box)

Post by daedaluscan »

I just built a box for my 1956 B. The door was there, but had been screwed shut and the Vaccuum regulator and stall horn had been mounted directly behind the door. The width and height are defined by the opening. I built it as deep as I could, with the stall horn mounted on the back and the regulator mounted on the top.I added a brace that comes off one of the windshield screws down to the top of the box. Not sure it is really needed, especially if you made the box less deep, but I felt with the weight of the regulator and stall horn it was a good idea.

I will get some accurate measurements and photos in a day or so.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019

Post by 99654 »

I was able to locate what appears to be the correct box for my 53. It has what could be described as a contoured dash that makes the box and door a bit more complex than one might first think. I will try to provide photos and measurements soon as I install it. This forum and its members are greatly appreciated.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The IPC for the B-model only places the stall warning horn on the rear of the glove box for “SN26996 and on”... and the vacuum regulator is mounted, not on the box, but in-line just above the venturi manifold.

If the engine has been swapped-out for an O-300-C/D with a vacuum pump the regulator is installed on the forward face of the firewall

These mounting locations allow better access for Annual Inspections when the screen of the regulator should be serviced. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)