Oil Temp Probe - How much torque?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N170BP

Post by N170BP »

Thanks George.

So, looking at this Spruce page:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/i ... gauges.php

Can I use either gauge toward the bottom of the page (Scott
or Rochester)? Are these FAA/PMA approved?

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

There's a guy in Sequim that I heard about that does aircraft instrument & clock repair. A friend of mine is getting the oil temp gage & clock out of his 140A reworked by the guy,& I hope to be getting a quality-control report soon.
Bela,a friend of mine bought a new "receiver fitting" ( bushing,where the temp probe attaches) from Continental,cost him like $65. When I heard about it,I showed him the same part in the Spruce catalog for $6 (p/n 95527,5/8"-18 X 5/8"-18). He almost cried.
The oil temp gage in my ragwing went gunnysack the first time I flew it. I replaced it with a Scott RN-2100 gage,Spruce has those for about $75. Probably cheaper than overhauling the old gage. I seem to recall that it came with a bushing for the temp probe/screen connection.
Bela,are you all over your pox? We missed ya at Thun Field sunday. Ran into some of your clam-digging bruise brothers there buying fuel for their gas-guzzlers.

Eric
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

zero.one.victor wrote:There's a guy in Sequim that I heard about that does aircraft instrument & clock repair. A friend of mine is getting the oil temp gage & clock out of his 140A reworked by the guy,& I hope to be getting a quality-control report soon.
Bela,a friend of mine bought a new "receiver fitting" ( bushing,where the temp probe attaches) from Continental,cost him like $65. When I heard about it,I showed him the same part in the Spruce catalog for $6 (p/n 95527,5/8"-18 X 5/8"-18). He almost cried.
The oil temp gage in my ragwing went gunnysack the first time I flew it. I replaced it with a Scott RN-2100 gage,Spruce has those for about $75. Probably cheaper than overhauling the old gage. I seem to recall that it came with a bushing for the temp probe/screen connection.
Bela,are you all over your pox? We missed ya at Thun Field sunday. Ran into some of your clam-digging bruise brothers there buying fuel for their gas-guzzlers.

Eric
Yeah, I think Big Bruise (Rod Claus) ran into that guy and had less
than fantastic things to say about the experience (he had some gauges/stuff he wanted overhauled on his '57 180). Anyway, I'm
thinking the $75 Scott gauge / setup from Spruce will work.

I'm all over the !@#$%^ chicken pox (got a note from the doc
saying so!). What a pain in the backside that was....

We've been eatin' fried clams + clam chowder for days now ('bout
had enough of them slimey little rascals....).

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
zero.one.victor

Bela,before you install that new temp gage you should "calibrate" it. I always hear about techniques involving heating oil up on the kitchen stove and using a candy thermometer--well,I don't own a candy thermometer & don't really want to buy one. So I decided to dunk the probe of my new gage in boiling water. Easy to do at home & no clean up required. At sea level (standard day,I guess?),water boils at 212 degrees. My gage read between 205 & 210--close enough for me.

Eric
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

Thanks for the tip Eric, I'll do just that (test it in boiling water).

I'm looking forward to having an actual oil temp scale to read
rather than the old gauge that has a big green band with a red tick
at the end, which seems to me is only slightly better than having
an "idiot light". :lol:

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
n2582d

Torque Seal

Post by n2582d »

A good way to confirm that fittings which are not safetied are not loosening is to put a dab of torque seal between the fitting and what they screw into. Make sure the torque seal is not cracked during your preflight inspection. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/c ... ueseal.php
Gary
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

Thanks for the tip/heads-up. I've got some of that
stuff hidden in my tool chest somewhere (now to find
it....).

The new gauge/line/capillary/fitting should be here
tomorrow morning, so with any luck, I'll have it
flying again by tomorrow evening.

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
zero.one.victor

Bela,when I bought my Scott gage it came with an adapter bushing. I assume your's will also. Check to be sure that the inside of the fitting is a good match for the flange on the sensor bulb,that's what determines whether or not it leaks oil. (don't ask me how I know! :oops: )
A while ago on this thread, (scroll back in time), Bruce C taalked about how he safeties the temp bulb nut. Someone else said that it doesn't need safetying because of the brass/copper materials involved,it won't tend to back off like steel/steel will.

Eric
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

The kit did come with an adapter fitting. I didn't know it
would, so I bought one as well ($6, like you said).

Internally, both of the adapters look the same, but one
has a bigger size hex than the other. I'll check them both
for fit.

Also, the Scott instructions say to make sure and "use the
proper gasket" between the adapter fitting and the oil
screen housing, but it doesn't specify what gasket to use.

I don't have a C-145-2 parts book (shame on me....).

Could someone kindly look this up and let me know what
kind of gasket is required? (i.e., crush gasket, paper ring,
o-ring or what)?

Many thanks,

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

The small crush gasket is AN900-10 for the probe, the large oil screen is the AN900-28.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

Thanks.

Fortunately, my IA had the proper sized crush gasket
on-hand. I'm pleased to report that Bravo Pop is back
up and running (with no oil leaks!).

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
N73087

Post by N73087 »

With the FM oil filter installed, where is the best place for the temp probe? At the end of the FM unit? or in the small screen?
Dave
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

What do you mean by "small screen"? There are two screens on the O-300. The lower left which is the "suction" screen and the upper right (larger nut) which is the pressure screen (the one we clean each oil change.)
Never remove the suction screen. For one thing it's screen-hole-size is so large that it is said to only catch "the parts that still have Part Numbers on them." For another, dislodging it poses it's own danger to the oil pump should you dislodge anything.
In any case, the suction screen has no provision to install the probe, as it's end cap is not drilled and/or tapped.
The fine screen, the pressure screen, is the one that is replaced by the FM Enterprises adaptor, and is the one the oil probe is normally installed in. The STC explains that the oil temp probe is re-installed into the aft end of the FM adaptor.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

George if yo look in the 0-300 part manual I think you'll see that there is a suction screen available with what looks like the hole or fittings for and oil probe.

Also I've never heard not to take out the suction screen. I do agree it would only catch stuff with part numbers. I have personal experiance finding them when it was removed unfortunatly the number was unreadable which forced a tear down to identify the part 8O
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yeah, I've seen that illustration, but I've never seen a suction filter designed to accept a temp probe, only a pipe thread to accept a hydraulic/oil line. The O-300 OH manual also doesn't correctly illustrate the pressure screen as being capable of temp probes, but on the Cessna installation it certainly is. Has anyone seen a suction screen with an oil temp probe recepticle? And are you sure it's not an accessory oil line? (Does it have a lip inside to accept the probe or is it merely a pipe thread? And did the engine start life as a Cessna installation, or was it off a different airplane?)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)