Cleveland Conversions

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

43a72v

Cleveland Conversions

Post by 43a72v »

I have heard of a Cessna bulletin stating that converting to cleveland wheels actually does NOT require using an STC & form 337. Anyone else heard of this? If so, what is the bulletin/service kit? Thanks!
Josh
mit

Re: Cleveland Conversions

Post by mit »

43a72v wrote:I have heard of a Cessna bulletin stating that converting to cleveland wheels actually does NOT require using an STC & form 337. Anyone else heard of this? If so, what is the bulletin/service kit? Thanks!
Never heard of such a thing. They may have been talking about other model cessna's that had the opition of either type of brakes. You can't get an easier stc to install. well worth the money to get ride of the goodyears.
Tim
N2580D

Post by N2580D »

The Cleveland conversion is certainly common and easy to get approval for, but has anyone tried, lately, to get approval for the double puck Clevelands ? I've got 180 gear legs and 8:oo tires and have been told by the local FAA "people" to not even apply for a 337 for the conversion. Of course the mod is common in Alaska and works absolutly GREAT, but I would never want to do anything not approved by the FAA......!!! 8O
Pete Kuckenberg
zero.one.victor

double-puck brakes

Post by zero.one.victor »

Pete,my ragwing has 180 gear legs & double-puck Clevelands,the form 337 was approved by the Seattle FSDO in 1987. I sent a copy of the 337 documenting the gear leg/ brake installation to the Association for their files a couple years ago,if you want a copy. The wording of the 337 is interesting. It lists the installation of the 180 gear legs & p/n 1441003-1 axles,THEN the installation of the Cleveland W&B kit p/n 199-62,stating "This kit is approved for installation on the Cessna 180 landing gear with the p/n 1441003-1 axle per STC SA 63GL."
I've seen at least one other 170 with the big brakes,I know it had the brakes installed in the last year or two but I don't know what the approval status is on that one.
Just tell the FAA that with all that added horsepower,you need some added stopping power too! Safety first,ya know!

Eric
ak2711c

Cleveland Conversions

Post by ak2711c »

Pete, I just installed a set on a customers plane a couple of months ago. The field approval was no problem to get, but I am in Alaska. Be carefull when ordering the kit to order the kit for a 180. If you order the kit for a 170 you will just get another set of single pucks. Also the cheapest price that I have found is in Aircraft Spruce. They are cheaper than any of my other wholesale parts suppliers. Good luck.
Shawn