Rosen Sunvisors

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Re: Rosen Sunvisors

Post by 170C »

Did Jay upgrade (?) from his '77 C-180 to a C-185? I sure liked his 180.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Joe...well, everyone actually... The carry-thru spar overhead in the cabin is also known as a "hat-section" because of it's shape being an upside-down top-hat. It's strength is not derived in the same fashion as a main spar or I-Beam. It's function is mostly due to it's ability to withstand tension/compression... not bending... The main spars, in the left and right wings, pass their loads thru the cabin via the tension/compression placed upon the hat-section (which is mostly only during negative-G maneuvers) and thru the struts, gear-box, and forward door-posts. The door-posts, gear-box and front/rear hat-sections form a "box-section", so the ordinary positive-G loads are spread mostly along a line from main-spar/strut/gearbox/strut/opposite main-spar. The overhead hat-section is only under mild compression most of the time spent in flight (and light tension when tied-down or in the hangar) so it does not need much capability, plus it's loading is shared by the rear doorposts and rear hat-section via the door-frames.

The point is, that unless drilled in a corner, or near the wing-attach-blocks... a small hole for a screw or rivet has almost no effect on it's strength. (And it's why, during a pre-purchase inspection that the doorposts and cabin=frame structure should never be overlooked as that is where so much airframe integrity is built.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

Thanks George.
Karl Towle

Post by Karl Towle »

Just looked up this thread, as I'm getting ready to install these in 33C. I've downloaded the documentation from Rosen. On page 7, I find the following:
http://www.rosenvisor.com/componentpdfs/RCS-300-1.pdf

Note: DO attach the bracket to the windshield side of the overhead, so that the bracket is not visible from the pilot seat. If attached to the
overhead on the seat side, the visor assembly will be too close to the pilot’s face.
The red slide tensioning knob should point toward the windshield and should not be visible to the pilot when the visor is in use.

The above note is found in the section dealing with early 172-207 models, but the picture and illustration on p8 would seem to indicate it also applies to our 170s. Note how it shows the red knob ending up on the windshield side when the visor is down.

How does this square with what everyone is describing regarding their own installation? Do we have some personal preference generated alternatives here?
rnealon1

Post by rnealon1 »

Hi All,

Trying to follow the applicability of these visors to our '54 170B S/N 26181...

Sounds like we can remove originals and bolt in the Rosens...

Looking at purchase options, is there a separate/additional feature that allows full articulation? I see this mentioned for other aircraft types but uncertain about the 170.

Thanks,

Bob
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT
170C

Post by 170C »

If the '54 170 is like my '56 172, you can remove the old sunvisors and replace with the Rosen's. Easy to do. I highly recommend the models with the articulating feature. I originally purchased mine without that feature, but later purchased the articulating items that allowed full articulation. Well worth the cost. Even with Rosen's, there may be times when flying into the sun where you may want to have a stick on sunblock to position on the windshield.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

Karl Towle wrote:Just looked up this thread, as I'm getting ready to install these in 33C. I've downloaded the documentation from Rosen. On page 7, I find the following:
http://www.rosenvisor.com/componentpdfs/RCS-300-1.pdf

Note: DO attach the bracket to the windshield side of the overhead, so that the bracket is not visible from the pilot seat. If attached to the
overhead on the seat side, the visor assembly will be too close to the pilot’s face.
The red slide tensioning knob should point toward the windshield and should not be visible to the pilot when the visor is in use.

The above note is found in the section dealing with early 172-207 models, but the picture and illustration on p8 would seem to indicate it also applies to our 170s. Note how it shows the red knob ending up on the windshield side when the visor is down.

How does this square with what everyone is describing regarding their own installation? Do we have some personal preference generated alternatives here?
Karl, did you get these installed?
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Karl Towle wrote:"..............How does this square with what everyone is describing regarding their own installation? Do we have some personal preference generated alternatives here?

Karl-
The brackets are supposed to be installed with the horizontal leg facing aft but some folks install them backwards with the horizontal leg facing forward thinking that the visor is too close when installed per the instructions. If installed backwards/forward, they will fit just fine but there is a gap between the visor and spar carrythru which I find very distracting and uncomfortable when the sun shines thru the gap into your eyes during the middle of the day. Kinda defeats the purpose in my mind.

I do not find the visors too close at all when installed per the instructions and they function much better at shielding the sun.
Rosen visors installed per the instructions, mounting bracket arms facing aft
Rosen visors installed per the instructions, mounting bracket arms facing aft
Last edited by hilltop170 on Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
oliverbarth

Post by oliverbarth »

C1199DEF-F029-4052-8887-9EF78D0556A5_1_105_c.jpeg
I installed the Rosen sun visors using the original AN3 mounting on both of my C170b. The Rosen bracket needed some modification. No drilling. The original bracket would not fit and I am not sure where and how it should fit at a C170? It is a little close to your face but you can turn the bracket if you can life with the gap between the visor and the ceiling.
N2707C
1955 C170 B
AVCON 180hp Conversion
MT Propeller

N3078A
1953 C170B
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

A full afternoon of work and I managed to get one visor installed. What a PIA. Good thing I have a band saw and belt sander. I bought the visors two years ago at OSH and have been sitting on them since because the instructions are incomprehensible. Now, having attempted installation, I'd suggest the instructions should say: "Use your best judgment. Do whatever it takes. Good luck!"
170C

Post by 170C »

Not sure which 170 you installed them, but in my ‘56 172TD installation was easy. What issues did you have?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I do not have visors at all. My QB Sponsor, Beryl Minard, a WW2 Marauder-pilot told me to “Squint, George! It’ll give you crows-feet at the corner of your eyes and make you look experienced!”

:lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

170C wrote:Not sure which 170 you installed them, but in my ‘56 172TD installation was easy. What issues did you have?
'54. First there was a bunch of fitting and fiddling, deciding how far left or right to mount the visor. The mounting bracket is a clunky angle that's supposed to sit flush against the bottom and forward surfaces of the carry-through. I made a few passes with the Dremel trying to make the vertical part not interfere with the headliner sharktooth mounting strip and the long aluminum trim strip. I finally gave up and just cut it off, leaving only the horizontal plate, like what oliverbarth showed above. I was able to use the existing 10-32 nut plate in the bottom of the carrythrough, which required drilling a hole in the mount. Then I attached the mount with an AN525 screw. It took a lot of time while sitting in uncomfortable positions. Finally, I made the mistake of trying to install a rivnut to add a second mounting screw.

Now I look at the pictures in this thread and it appears I installed the copilot side visor on the pilot side, because the red screw faces down when the visor is flush with the ceiling. The instructions said one visor was labeled "pilot side", but darned if I could find any such label. I found the instructions to be extremely unclear.
Karl Towle

Post by Karl Towle »

I neglected to post pictures of my installation. I took the approach of mounting from the stock single #10 nut-plate. I started out by fabricating two bushings that would just fit in one of the lightning holes in the Rosen bracket, but with the hole for the #10 cap screw off center like this:
RosenBushings.jpg
However, there was no way to use the stock mounting hole, without modifying their bracket. So, the outboard sides were milled off, and the finished installation looks like this:
RosenBracket.jpg
To install, insert the offset bushing and screw, then turn the bushing to pull the bracket back tight to the front of the spar carry-through, while tightening the cap-screw. The trim around the wing-root vent also needed to be trimmed for clearance
I've been very happy with this installation, and so far, have had no problems with the single screw loosening in service.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

That’s a great solution, Karl. I wish I was that clever.