Headliners

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

lowNslow

Headliners

Post by lowNslow »

Does anyone have any experience with installing a headliner? Is this something that can be attempted by mere mortals or should this be done by a pro?
N1478D

Re: Headliners

Post by N1478D »

lowNslow wrote:Does anyone have any experience with installing a headliner? Is this something that can be attempted by mere mortals or should this be done by a pro?
It can be done by mere mortals. I bought a wool headliner from Airtex and it was the very first time I ever attempted any thing like that. Compliments all the time, and most people think it was done in a professional shop. Start at the back and take your time, and plan on having more than one day to work on it if you run in to some trouble spots. Airtex sells the proper adhesive, I used a little in a spot over a rear window that was stubborn, but the rest of the headliner is held up by the bows and airframe. Take time to remove all old material from inside the channels. I used a dull plastic putty knife about 3 inches wide to push the new headliner up inside the channels. My interior was in a box - called a basket case, a little cheaper though - when I bought the plane so I had to make some of the bows and find some of the clips, and doing all of that I spent a little less than 3 days on the project. It was one of the more rewarding projects that I have attempted on the 170. Good luck and do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
PS: It was just last week that an IA at my airport told me he would pay me a $1000 the next time he gets a cessna that needs a headliner after he stopped to look at the 170. The point being that you can make the job look just about as good as a professional shop. Aint it fun to have people stop and look at these beautiful birds.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
dalemed
Site Admin

Post by dalemed »

N1478D wrote:
lowNslow wrote:... I used a dull plastic putty knife about 3 inches wide to push the new headliner up inside the channels. ....
The putty knife trick is essential, but round off the sharp corners (about 1/4" radius should be adequate). You don't want the putty knife to cut the fabric.
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

dalemed wrote:
N1478D wrote:
lowNslow wrote:... I used a dull plastic putty knife about 3 inches wide to push the new headliner up inside the channels. ....
The putty knife trick is essential, but round off the sharp corners (about 1/4" radius should be adequate). You don't want the putty knife to cut the fabric.
Good Advice - I used the word dull, you cannot afford to have anything sharp, rounded works well, but thin enough to get inside the channels. And another trick for wool headliners is after installation, spray wrinkles lightly with water and apply heat from a hair dryer (ok George, it's Megan's hair dryer :wink: ) and the wrinkles dissapear :idea:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Joe, Dale, Thanks for the information, you can probably expect a phone call when I get started on this (or an email), right now I am still working on replacing my windshield. By the way, does Airtex provide any kind of instructional material with their headliners??

Karl
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

lowNslow wrote:Joe, Dale, Thanks for the information, you can probably expect a phone call when I get started on this (or an email), right now I am still working on replacing my windshield. By the way, does Airtex provide any kind of instructional material with their headliners??

Karl
I was so surprised to open the box and only find wool headliner - NO INSTRUCTIONS! But, after doing the job, other than starting from the back and working your way forward, there just isn't much to instruct on. You will find it intuitive and easy to back up and fix something should you need to. Email me Karl if you want my numbers.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX