why does my rag wing paperwork say it was made in 1950?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

suntiet

why does my rag wing paperwork say it was made in 1950?

Post by suntiet »

Just wondering if anyone knows why the papers say it was made in 50?
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: why does my rag wing paperwork say it was made in 1950?

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

What paper? FAA registration? The FAA will assign the year the aircraft was first registered as the year of manufacture if no one corrects it. So often airplanes made in one model year that where not sold till the next year often have the wrong manufacture year on the registration. If an airplane was sold and exported by the factory outside the US and then imported back into the US, the year it was imported is often found as the year of manufacturer.

There are simply lots of mistakes found in the registration cause no one is checking or correcting it. Remember until recently airplanes registration was only changed when the plane changed hands, not every 3 years. My first 170 at one time or another was registered as a 170, a 170B and then a 170A which is what it was according to it's serial number.

Your '48 was not manufactured in '50.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Re: why does my rag wing paperwork say it was made in 1950?

Post by GAHorn »

(Reviving an older thread which was originally posted/hidden in the Mx Library)

I’ll add to Bruce’s comments that an airplane exported direct from the factory may have initially been in a foreign registry. When imported back to the U.S. it may receive it’s First FAA Airworthiness certificate…which is how FAA used to determine year of mfr. (This happened to my SN: 25713 mfr’d in Nov. ‘52 but shipped to El Salvador. When it re-entered the U.S. in 1971 and rec’d it’s first U.S. airworthiness….it was registered as a 1971 Cessna 170B. I had to notify the FAA-Registration OKC of the error and they “corrected” it…. to the IN-correct info as a 1952 170B. (it’s actually a ‘53 model.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)