Fuel Tank Filler

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n2582d

Re: Fuel Tank Filler

Post by n2582d »

DaveF wrote:No way I’d use a tool like that with the flange still attached to the tank. If you had things taken apart for tank re-sealing, you’d be able to apply solvents and heat, then the wrench, without damaging the tank.
The problem is that the flange to which the filler neck is screwed onto is installed in the tank prior to the top and bottom of the tank being welded together. The IPC gives one the impression that the filler neck is screwed onto the adapter plate but that's not the case.
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
See this thread for pictures. I have no idea if this filler neck from Aircraft Spruce is the correct size but might be worth looking into if considering reclocking the filler neck.
ghostflyer wrote:I may be wrong about this, but some where in the back of my brain is telling me you can adjust the cap pawls to suit. ...
The C156003-0101 all metal fuel cap has two tabs that "capture" the metal plate which secures the cap to the filler neck -- no way to adjust or clock this cap.
P/N C156003-0101
P/N C156003-0101
Gary
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

n2582d wrote:The problem is that the flange to which the filler neck is screwed onto is installed in the tank prior to the top and bottom of the tank being welded together.
Right, I forgot about that. When I had my tanks out for filler neck re-sealing I pondered the assembly for a while. Like the straps that hold the tanks down, they don't seem fully designed for maintenance.
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Thanks george , I owe you a beer. I have about 8 caps in the junk box in the hangar that have a u/s flapper valve and /or the large sealing washer that’s u/s . In the past I have tried to buy new valves but have been unsuccessful. A new fuel cap in this country is about 150 dollars .
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Just got back from the hangar looking for my spare fuel caps ,spark plugs and air filters. It was during covid lock down that my toilet paper went missing in my hangar . There was a rush on toilet paper in the supermarkets . However some one had a duplicate key for my hanger. Now I find also my stash of tank caps are missing plus I had a box of new spark plugs for my aircraft and a spare new air filter element. ALL gone except there was ONE spark plug left in the box. Not happy. I had a look at a spare cap that i carry around in my aircraft and this can’t be spit apart . It’s the same that’s illustrated previously . However saying all that I can recall having tank caps that had a castellated nut on the bottom and where you hooked up a chain. Note. the locks have been changed .
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

ghostflyer wrote:Just got back from the hangar looking for my spare fuel caps ,spark plugs and air filters. It was during covid lock down that my toilet paper went missing in my hangar . There was a rush on toilet paper in the supermarkets . However some one had a duplicate key for my hanger. Now I find also my stash of tank caps are missing plus I had a box of new spark plugs for my aircraft and a spare new air filter element. ALL gone except there was ONE spark plug left in the box. Not happy. I had a look at a spare cap that i carry around in my aircraft and this can’t be spit apart . It’s the same that’s illustrated previously . However saying all that I can recall having tank caps that had a castellated nut on the bottom and where you hooked up a chain. Note. the locks have been changed .
Soooo….now that the chickens have all been eaten…. you’ve gone and bought a fox-hound…?? :twisted:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)