C of G for O-360 conversions

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

daedaluscan

Re: C of G for O-360 conversions

Post by daedaluscan »

bat443 wrote:I have a 54 170B with a wide deck O-360A1A Avcon conversion and 80 inch Harzell with the balancer. I would call the performance outstanding and this installation because of the balancer has no rpm range restrictions.

1487.2 pounds at 38.27 weighed about 10 years ago by someone other than me. Has 8.00 tires, double puck Clevelands, factory camera hole aft of pilot seat, baggage door, Javelin fuel tank (24 pounds at 99 inches) com and transponder and an much heavier interior than it needs to be. Flies fine. I plan to lighten up the interior and reweigh the plane myself in the spring.

Dave Stoots ant Stoots Aviation in Fairbanks, AK will sell you an STC to install the 80 in prop on a 180 hp 170 and doesn't care what airplane it came off. A friend on mine ran into the same problem with Harzell when he tried to install a 80 inch off a Husky and was told it was not in the "correct" serial number group to be installed on a 170 and he would need to buy a new prop. He called Stoots and they issued him the STC for $500, it made the installation affordable by being able to buy a used prop.

Tim
Thanks, I’ll give him a call
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
JohnNielsen

Post by JohnNielsen »

EW: 1405 39.0" 54,745
1955 170B w DelAir O-360 and MT Composite prop (and a LOT of other mods). The MT 'Ultra' 2-blade 80" prop is the lightest at 45 lbs. The MT governor is only 2 lbs. The MT Ultra prop has slightly better performance over the Trailblazer and has the advantage of best vibration dampening and owner repairability. Both composite props are about $15k with spinner and delivery. Flight Resource owns the MT Prop STC and often has some used MT props for less $$. www.Flight-Resource.com They just merged with McFarlane, so one stop shopping for a whole bunch of parts I used on this project.

John Nielsen
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

JohnNielsen wrote:EW: 1405 39.0" 54,745
1955 170B w DelAir O-360 and MT Composite prop (and a LOT of other mods). The MT 'Ultra' 2-blade 80" prop is the lightest at 45 lbs. The MT governor is only 2 lbs. The MT Ultra prop has slightly better performance over the Trailblazer and has the advantage of best vibration dampening and owner repairability. Both composite props are about $15k with spinner and delivery. Flight Resource owns the MT Prop STC and often has some used MT props for less $$. http://www.Flight-Resource.com They just merged with McFarlane, so one stop shopping for a whole bunch of parts I used on this project.

John Nielsen
This is really how I would like to go, but not in the budget yet. I think I will go with a legacy CS prop for now. I would really prefer to go fixed pitch but can’t seem to find a legal way to do this in Canada with a hollow crank motor.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

There is a service letter put out by lycoming for the modification to the crank shalf in changing from fixed pitch to variable pitch or back to fixed pitch from a variable pitch prop . It’s my belief it’s legal in Canada . I haven’t the paper work in front of me but when I return home and remember to look for it I will post the service letter . Just a note . If you are going fit a fixed pitch prop clean the hollow area of the prop shalf internally and paint it to,stop corrosion and then fit the plug into the crane shalf . I think that’s a service letter also . I can’t remember the service letter numbers ,I am getting too old for that these days . Now what was I doing ?
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

ghostflyer wrote:There is a service letter put out by lycoming for the modification to the crank shalf in changing from fixed pitch to variable pitch or back to fixed pitch from a variable pitch prop. ...
Service Instruction 1435
ghostflyer wrote:... If you are going fit a fixed pitch prop clean the hollow area of the prop shalf internally and paint it to,stop corrosion and then fit the plug into the crane shalf. I think that’s a service letter also . ...
AD98-02-08
Service Bulletin 505B
Service Bulletin 530B
Why the exception of various O-360 engines to these Service Bulletins?
Gary
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Some O-360 engines have a different steel compounds used in the crankshalfs . Some crankshalfs are “nearly”corrosion resistant .
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

Weighed it today 1440 at 39”

More than I wanted ( of course) but CG is acceptable.

Heavy steam panel and heavy Hartzell prop.

Start up next week
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Awesome news Charlie, flew over @ 3500 Sunday your place looked deserted. Did you put doors on your hangar or were they always there, never noticed them before. We need a 170 get together once your machine is up and running. There’s a few recent additions to the lower mainland fleet. Maybe we can equal a Texas get together possibly Courtney airpark ?
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

Yes, doors have been there for a while:)

Great idea for a get together, Courtney might be intimidating to some?

I am planning to have a weekend in the summer to have a 170 meeting, or maybe a tailwheel meeting. Not a formal fly in , but an invitation to come and camp and hang out on Texada.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019