Engine data plate obliterated

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

hilltop170

Re: Engine data plate obliterated

Post by hilltop170 »

Another option is the FAA can authorize the owner of the engine (or airplane or accessory) to fabricate a new data plate.

I bought into a PA18-105 that had a counterfeit PA18-150 data plate someone had made when they installed the 150hp engine. After the FAA determined what had happened, and Piper REFUSED to supply a new data plate, the FAA issued me a letter of authorization to fabricate a new data plate.

I also have a set of hydraulic wheel skis that I had reconditioned at a certified repair station. They had a painted data plate that disappeared when the skis were stripped. Another call to the FAA and another letter of authorization and I had a new stamped stainless steel data plate on the skis.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
sreeves

Post by sreeves »

Thanks for the info
Stephen Reeves
Palm Harbor, Florida
Cessna 170A, N1773D, S/N 20216
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

That’s a good point, Richard.
There are many engine dataplates I’ve seen that were nothing more than a stainless plate stamped with engine model and serial.
I’m not sure how anyone who simply made one on their own without any contact with authorities would be detected.

I once was preparing an HS125 for a ferry flight to Ireland and the export CofA was being denied due to the aircraft not having the Hawker-Siddely dataplate on the cockpit bulkhead. With the factory field representative standing alongside me I had a local jeweller engrave a pretty plate which I riveted to the bulkhead and the CofA was issued and I took the airplane to Dublin where it received an import certificate without question.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Seth Miller

Post by Seth Miller »

What about FAR45.11(b)(1) which points to the following being required on a data plate.....45.13(a) builders name, model designation, serial number, TC, PC, and engine established rating.

Thanks

Seth
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Seth Miller wrote:What about FAR45.11(b)(1) which points to the following being required on a data plate.....45.13(a) builders name, model designation, serial number, TC, PC, and engine established rating.

Thanks

Seth
I don’t have a definitive answer for you Seth, but that requirement is specifically imposed on the mfr’r. “ 45.11 Marking of products.
(a) Aircraft. A manufacturer….”
and
“45.11(b) Aircraft engines. A manufacturer of an aircraft engine ….”

Also, the identifications are supposed to be “fireproof”…but that does not necessarily mean “permanent” or “indestructible”….?

Also, See FAR 43.13, especially para (e)…which is the specific rule prohibiting building up an airplane from various airplanes in the junk-pile and sticking a dataplate on it …(i.e. moving a dataplate from one airframe to another.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)