ADS-B IN

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

ADS-B IN

Post by 170C »

Wondering what others may be experiencing while using the uAvionix Scout unit? I am using mine with ForeFlight and sometimes it works great while other times it gives the "Scout Disconnected" message. I know of one other former 170 member who has experienced the same in his C-180. I've bugged both uAvionix as well as ForeFlight without resolve. FF backed off saying their folks had exhausted their efforts for a solution and that it must be a uAvionix issue. uAvionix has told me when it does it the next time to open a new browser and put in code 192.168.4.1 and if it shows Scout that the problem is with FF. So far I haven't had the opportunity to give this a really good test. My TailBeacon works fantastically well. Comments appreciated.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
n3833v

Re: ADS-B IN

Post by n3833v »

Mark and I used it to Newton and it worked great for us.

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
170C

Post by 170C »

Just completed a 160 n trip this morning. Scout worked initially, then disconnected. I could go into settings, then back to FF and it would reconnect for a while. Toward the end of the first 80n leg it disconnected and wouldn't reconnect. On the return leg the experience was pretty much the same. I will contact uAvionix one more time with data I have and see what they have to say. Chances are they will say its FF's issue, and it may well be. I'm about to ditch Scout unless a solution is found.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Not a “Scout”... but I have their SkySensor on my right wingtip and it works very well indeed with my I-pad Pro and Fly-Q. The only problem I’ve had is on one or two occasions it lost connection (whether it’s Fly-Q, I-pad, or SkySensor I don’t really know, but if I cycle my nav-light switch (re-booting both the SkyBeacon and SkySensor) it works perfectly for the rest of the flight.

The SkySensor is marketed for experimental use but it’s signed off as a minor alteration. (The navlite/anti-collision light functions of SkySensor meet the rule so the minor alteration accommodates the WiFi portion, which is no different than portable units except that it’s physically attached to the airframe.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

gahorn wrote:The SkySensor is marketed for experimental use but it’s signed off as a minor alteration. (The navlite/anti-collision light functions of SkySensor meet the rule so the minor alteration accommodates the WiFi portion, which is no different than portable units except that it’s physically attached to the airframe.)
If it is just a minor alteration for standard category aircraft why would it be marketed for experimental aircraft only? Here’s a clip from Aircraft Spruce’s Q&A on the SkySensor:
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
According to Uavionix SkySensor meets the nav light requirements of TSO C30c but I can’t find where the anti-collision light meets the requirements of TSO C96a.

To say that it’s no different than portable units except that it’s not portable is a pretty big “except”. That seems to be the line in the sand which requires further FAA approval if it doesn’t qualify under NORSEE.

Otherwise it looks like a great unit! :D
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Because it (the wifi portion) doesn’t meet the rules for certification is WHY it is an alteration. There are many many items which can be installed onto a Cessna 170 that are not certified, but may be permanently installed provided there is a basis of approval. Minor or major alteration can be an avenue for that action, and the SkySensor did not rise to the need for a major alteration...therefore.... minor alteration. (That is the reasoning my IA presented and since it meets with my requirements I don’t choose to disagree with him.). If anyone can show me how the SkySensor installation creates a safety or airworthiness issue, please feel free to mention it.

According to the advance paperwork on them: “ It includes TSOs for the ADS-B, GPS, barometric altitude sensor, position light and anti-collision light ...”
According to the FAA Approved Airplane Flight Manual Supplement, page 5, the LED anticollision light meets C96a.. The SkySensor and the SkyLIght utiilze the same approved LED devices as SkyBeacon and meet TSO’s C30c and C96a.

While the SkySensor is only approved for experimental aircraft, those aircraft lighting requirements are identical for night flight as for certified aircraft. Since the only portion of the SkySensor which is not approved for use in certified aircraft is the wifi portion... and no requirement for TSO applies to the Cessna 170 in this regard, it was decided to install it under “minor alteration”. YMMV

I don’t believe NORSEE qualification is required to install non-TSO’d equipment. An example is the mounting of a common, household carbon-monoxide detector, or a fire extinguisher, etc.
Attachments
skyBeacon-Flight-Manual-Supplement-UAV-1002111-001.pdf
(1.95 MiB) Downloaded 362 times
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
170C

Post by 170C »

I have a couple of friends who have installed the Sky Sensor. Both work well and both have been signed off by IA's. One gave me his Flight Box ADS unit that I may have to start using if I can't resolve the Scout issue.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
snellbob

Post by snellbob »

I have been using Scout for about 2 years. Seems to not work more times than it does work.
I’m 30nm east of SAT so it should be picking up enough towers. It drops the signal, won’t load radar picture, etc etc.
Finally just bought the ForeFlite Sentry Mini from Sportys. At 300’ after take off it had 2 green lites. Within 1 minute I had traffic and weather. So far, so good. Love it!
Vertical

Post by Vertical »

I was given a Scout by a friend who upgraded. It is very reliably unreliable-Disconnects ever handful of minute...every flight.
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

I've been using a Stratux ADS-B in (not Stratus) which is a home brew system and its been working like a charm for several years now. It is a little clunkier then other units but you get Status 2S features for the price of a Scout.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
170C

Post by 170C »

My gifted Stratux unit has worked without fail since installing (suction cup to windshield). I'm using ships power instead of the battery.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

I have a Stratus, used off ebay, and it works flawlessly. Only grumble is weather is not available in Canada, and seems spotty in Seattle area also. Works great further south and east.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
Mschwarzkopf

Post by Mschwarzkopf »

ForeFlight just announced a trade-in offer for the Scout. Buy a Sentry or Sentry Mini from Sporty’s and get $100/$50 off if you trade in your Scout.

https://www.sportys.com/media/pdf/Scout ... _final.pdf

The Sentry is $499; the Mini is $299. I haven’t compared prices elsewhere, but imagine they don’t offer much discount on these. It’s too bad they don’t want to support the Scout, I guess I’ll finally get a Sentry...
Mike Schwarzkopf
'51 C170A - N1471D
170C

Post by 170C »

Wonder if they would give me $200 off since I have two Scouts? One I purchased 2-3 yrs ago and one they sent me at no charge. Neither worked satisfactory. First one did OK some of the time, but neither worked most of the time. One of the companies employees admitted that the Scout was a low end unit ($100) and likely needed upgrades. but they wanted to get an affordable unit in the market as quickly as possible. I've hear no complaints on their Skybeacon or Tailbeacon.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

170C wrote:Wonder if they would give me $200 off since I have two Scouts? One I purchased 2-3 yrs ago and one they sent me at no charge. Neither worked satisfactory. First one did OK some of the time, but neither worked most of the time. One of the companies employees admitted that the Scout was a low end unit ($100) and likely needed upgrades. but they wanted to get an affordable unit in the market as quickly as possible. I've hear no complaints on their Skybeacon or Tailbeacon.
Frank, ForeFlight and uAvionics, mfr’r of the Skybeacon and Tailbeacon are two different companies.