CFI Flight Review Requirements

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

CFI Flight Review Requirements

Post by 170C »

What is required of a cfi in order for him/her to give me a flight review in my tailwheel aircraft VFR? Someone was saying the cfi had to have a tailwheel endorsement if he/she didn't fall under the grandfathered rule that most of us do. As a current vfr pilot, I would be acting as pic during the review.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: CFI Flight Review Requirements

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

So long as you can be the PIC, the CFI would not have to be tailwheel qualified in my opinion. There is no requirement for the CFI to be able to be PIC in an aircraft he is giving a flight review in. There is no prescribed required maneuvers that must be accomplished in a flight review so your CFI would not have to have knowledge how well you wheel landed.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
170C

Post by 170C »

Thanks Bruce! My friend, a cfi, was concerned that since he doesn't have a tw endorsement he couldn't give me the flt review. This should relieve him of his concern.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Richgj3

Post by Richgj3 »

Agree with Bruce.
Rich G (CFI-A, CFI-I)
Rich Giannotti CFI-A. CFI-I SE.
1952 C170B
N2444D s/n 20596
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

In 2018 I let my flight review expire, then found there were no TW qualified instructors on the field. Had to take my review in a 150. :oops: Since then that same instructor bought a Searey and got his TW endorsement. When he gave me my flight review last month (before the 2018 one expired) in my 170, we both were able to log PIC. Also since 2018, a TW-qualified instructor/DPE moved in three doors down. I should be set now!
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Some instructors travel, Frank. :wink:

I’ve been going to Athens on bi-monthly trips or so for the last two months. I would be happy to fly with you if you need.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Frank, in order to be PIC you must NOT have allowed your previous flight-review to have expired. IF it has expired, you will be in the same boat as Miles explained.

Here’s an example which I incurred: February of last year (2019) I needed a flight review. A new rating qualifies as a flight review, so. I decided to obtain my SES rating and attended and was instructed by a local flight school in a PA12 on Wipline Amphibious floats.
76640921-D82C-46E2-8795-6C09C4837A68.jpeg
Having completed the course I was ready to take the check-ride... but the problem was that I could not act as PIC for a check-ride because my Flight Review was expired.

Only because the Examiner was willing to act as PIC could I take the check-ride and it qualify as a Flight Review. While this might seem a minor point... it actually can be quite a problem, because ordinarily an Examiner does not wish to take on the Liability for the flight as PIC. I got lucky and he was willing to do so.

(While writing this I’m now struck with the question: “Why didn’t my instructor sign off one of the 3 hours of seaplane instruction as a flight review?”
Answer: Because since I was not rated SES as of yet... I couldn’t act as PIC! Catch-22.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

Got my flight review done yesterday. That makes my insurance company happy. My normal FAA required flt review is due in September, but now it won't be due until August of 2022. However, I'll have to do another one prior to 9-9-21 to comply with insurance requirements. Got my policy renewal and I was surprised that they only increased my premium by $135. They don't like old tail wheel pilots :( . Understand it gets worse at 80.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

170C wrote:Got my flight review done yesterday. That makes my insurance company happy. My normal FAA required flt review is due in September, but now it won't be due until August of 2022. However, I'll have to do another one prior to 9-9-21 to comply with insurance requirements. Got my policy renewal and I was surprised that they only increased my premium by $135. They don't like old tail wheel pilots :( . Understand it gets worse at 80.
Hey, Frank! Demand a Discount!
REMIND THEM that you fly a GREEN airplane and go so slowly that an accident is unlikely to cause much damage! :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

That's a good point George. Wonder if they give discounts on insurance for slower planes? :mrgreen:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018