Siliconized fabric for cabin bug holes

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Vertical

Siliconized fabric for cabin bug holes

Post by Vertical »

It looks like someone used some sort of silicone or rubber impregnated fabric or tape to seal all the bug holes where the floor meets various structures. It's very thin (maybe 1/32") and durable, but is beginning to peel and get ratty. Plus the original install was pretty sloppy.

Anyone know what this is, or where I could get more? I'm happy with it's function and would like to replace with similar. It doesn't need have its own adhesive, since I could just install with a contact type. Ideally it would be 4" + wide so I could custom cut shapes and do a nicer install than the original.

Initial searching hasn't quite lead me to the right product. Any help would be appreciated. Anyone else have an alternate/better solution?

See photo:
bug hole tape.jpg
170C

Re: Siliconized fabric for cabin bug holes

Post by 170C »

Hopefully you will get some responses that will be helpful. In my opinion someone went to a lot of unnecessary effort. The amount of air that sealing all those "bug holes" might stop wouldn't be worth the effort. All Cessna's of our vintages have these openings and I have never had any issues with them or known of anyone trying to seal them.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Flex-Tape. (Just kidding. I used some this week on a torn vinyl tractor seat and that tape is INDUSTRIAL RUBBER. You’d better have it cut, fitted, and ready...when you apply it. Heavy dooty adhesive.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Vertical

Post by Vertical »

170C wrote:Hopefully you will get some responses that will be helpful. In my opinion someone went to a lot of unnecessary effort. The amount of air that sealing all those "bug holes" might stop wouldn't be worth the effort. All Cessna's of our vintages have these openings and I have never had any issues with them or known of anyone trying to seal them.
Yeah, mostly I just like having them there to help keep sand, screws, dust, etc.. out of the belly. It makes it easier to vacuum and wipe after a trip. Maybe I'm overthinking it.
Vertical

Post by Vertical »

GAHorn wrote:Flex-Tape. (Just kidding. I used some this week on a torn vinyl tractor seat and that tape is INDUSTRIAL RUBBER. You’d better have it cut, fitted, and ready...when you apply it. Heavy dooty adhesive.)
Hmm..Gear Aid also makes a woven nylon fabric tape designed for tents, and camping gear that would probably work. I do wonder how careful you have to be with the adhesives possibly being corrosive to aluminum for it, flextape or any other. Think there is any risk there?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Vertical wrote:
GAHorn wrote:Flex-Tape. (Just kidding. I used some this week on a torn vinyl tractor seat and that tape is INDUSTRIAL RUBBER. You’d better have it cut, fitted, and ready...when you apply it. Heavy dooty adhesive.)
Hmm..Gear Aid also makes a woven nylon fabric tape designed for tents, and camping gear that would probably work. I do wonder how careful you have to be with the adhesives possibly being corrosive to aluminum for it, flextape or any other. Think there is any risk there?
No concern re: the adhesive used.... but I’m serious about being prepared during placement. That stuff is sticky. (MEK will remove it, however.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
jlwild

Post by jlwild »

I found that “silver backed aluminum” tape from hardware store worked for me. When my home heating vents were replaced, the repairman left some of his high temp tape for me. I also use it to cover old screw holes.
Last edited by jlwild on Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Wildharber, Kennesaw, GA
Past President TIC170A (2010-12) and Georgia Area Representative
'55 170B, N3415D, SN:26958, O-300D; People's Choice '06 Kelowna, B.C., Best Modified '07 Galveston, TX, Best Modified '08 Branson, MO.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I've used aluminum tape. It works, but it's easily punctured and a little tricky to fit over non-flat surfaces.

At the other end of the durability spectrum, Polyken 231 tape is tough enough to be used as media blasting masking. It's an attractive Mil green, too.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Gaffer’s tape is very similar to duct tape but has an adhesive that typically does not leave a residue.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

I was reminded of this thread when jumpseating home yesterday. The interior liners in our cargo planes are joined together with tape. Here’s a couple of pictures. Bit pricey at Aircraft Spruce.
Nitto Tape P-629PRL
Nitto Tape P-629PRL
3M 398FRP
3M 398FRP
Gary