Modern Pitot on '48 Ragwing

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Re: Modern Pitot on '48 Ragwing

Post by GAHorn »

Yes, I understand. Of course, the pitot tube is normally aligned with the chord of the wing, presumably for accuracy at cruise.... since the angle of incidence is important for accuracy. It’s doubtful that a minor change in the 170 pitot such as You’ve likely done would be significant. :lol:

The later “L” type Pitot heads have drain holes incorporated in them, but that pitot is not a mod I’d do on my airplane.
(The actual location of the drain is not exactly / accurately illustrated in the depiction below nor are the heating elements.... this is only a teaching-tool I’ve plagiarized.)
By the way... if anyone DOES perform this modification, Note that the pitot head is relocated INBOARD of the wing strut. This prevents someone walking into it and being injured.
Click to ENLARGE
Click to ENLARGE
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
gobrien

Post by gobrien »

GAHorn wrote:This prevents someone walking into it and being injured.
No, no! It doesn't :roll:
1948 170 Project (N4180V) now EI-AEN SN:18513 - Dublin, Ireland
https://www.taildragger.eu/
FredL

Post by FredL »

That reminds me of the commonly used term "idiot proof". I Always correct anyone using this term, saying there is no such thing. There is only idiot resistent, I have encountered many highly motivated idiots.