Mountian Airframes, Mena AR

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Kyle

Mountian Airframes, Mena AR

Post by Kyle »

Just thought I'd mention what a great experience I had at Mountian Airframes in Mena AR. In October, Kathlene and I flew out to Branson MO from Cape Cod. After visiting family for a few days, Kathlene flew us down on a Thursday afternoon to Del Lehmann's shop arriving after hours. I've always wanted to see his operation, and while there, have him check over the straightness of our 170 and look at a couple other things.

Del, his wife Tina, and Brett Ham were SO helpful and accomidating during our stay. We arrived back to the shop Friday morning and the plane was already inside. Del and some of his team came off jobs to check and do things on our plane (which equals disruption and lost time on current work for them). They also helped us with transportation to the hotel, recommendations on places to eat etc. Just super friendly, helpful and kind. The level of craftsmanship in the work they do is truly is amazing.

If you need any kind of structural work / modifications or damage repairs, don't hesitate to check there first, you won't be disapointed. Whatever the wait time is, it's worth it.

Blue skies...

Kyle Takakjian
Kyle Takakjian
Truro, MA
52 C-170B, N8087A
170C

Re: Mountian Airframes, Mena AR

Post by 170C »

While I haven't had the opportunity, or need for repairs, to visit Del's shop, I have seen a lot of his work on others planes and its always top notch. The thing that nailed his skills for me was his rebuild of Miles Bowen's '55 170. It was truly the rise of the Phoenix :D
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

You really should not delay any longer, Frank..... Del can even make GREEN airplanes fly faster after they leave his shop!
1F3921B2-FCE6-46D4-8E5D-B52DFECC3201.png
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

170C wrote:While I haven't had the opportunity, or need for repairs, to visit Del's shop, I have seen a lot of his work on others planes and its always top notch. The thing that nailed his skills for me was his rebuild of Miles Bowen's '55 170. It was truly the rise of the Phoenix :D
Frank, I was calling it the Phoenix until on one of my visits to check on progress Del told me that the guys in the shop were referring to it as the Lazarus Project. It makes sense, as there was no fire, thus no ashes, but it surely was raised from the dead. :wink:
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne