Aft fuselage inspection panel

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Poncho73

Aft fuselage inspection panel

Post by Poncho73 »

On an older post, George Horn lists some recommended mods. One was to add an aft fuselage inspection hole for the aft rudder cable area. Has anyone done this that can post a picture? I was looking at my airplane and I couldn’t establish a good spot.
Thanks
hilltop170

Re: Aft fuselage inspection panel

Post by hilltop170 »

There are Cessna Service Kits for tail inspection ports for C-180/185s but I never heard of one for a 170. I would definitely be interested in one if they are out there.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

I think George implies it’s done in accordance with the Cessna structural manual standards but I’d really like to see one first.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

HUh...? I DID..? What was I drinkin’...?? Errr..I mean THINKIN/...??
Are we talking about the same george? (Oh my Gawd...What monaster have I created...??)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
mit

Post by mit »

GAHorn wrote:HUh...? I DID..? What was I drinkin’...?? Errr..I mean THINKIN/...??
Are we talking about the same george? (Oh my Gawd...What monaster have I created...??)
I don't care who you are that's funny! :lol:
Tim
cfzxo

Post by cfzxo »

Hi Richard, I had the access service kit for the 180 - 185 and tried to make it fit on my 55 170b, for access to the pulleys in the tail cone but it wouldn't line up properly to be of any use. I have a picture here somewhere of an access panel that was put on the rear left side. I tried to have a Dar design one based on the photos I have. project never got completed as the individual up and retired. looks like a simple mod, but to be legal not so simple.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Thanks Bill, the 170 rear fuselage skinnys down a lot quicker in the last bulkhead section than the 180/185 so I understand what you are referring to. It would be real handy to have an access back there but luckily I don’t have to crawl back for the inspections. :lol: That’s what hungry young A&Ps like to do.

I still want to stop in at Terrace and meet you one of these days, Terrace is such a nice little town, have stopped there several times in the past, one of our favorite Canadian stopovers. I turned down four ferry flights this year due to Canada closing all but essential air traffic. I could have elbowed my way thru but I didn’t want to get on Custom’s naughty list. I know more than one pilot who was told to not come back to Canada when they didn’t honor the restrictions Customs instructed them to abide by.
Richard Pulley
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
It's not for sale!
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

GAHorn wrote:HUh...? I DID..? What was I drinkin’...?? Errr..I mean THINKIN/...??
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1969

Item 7
cfzxo

Post by cfzxo »

hilltop170 wrote:Thanks Bill, the 170 rear fuselage skinnys down a lot quicker in the last bulkhead section than the 180/185 so I understand what you are referring to. It would be real handy to have an access back there but luckily I don’t have to crawl back for the inspections. :lol: That’s what hungry young A&Ps like to do.

I still want to stop in at Terrace and meet you one of these days, Terrace is such a nice little town, have stopped there several times in the past, one of our favorite Canadian stopovers. I turned down four ferry flights this year due to Canada closing all but essential air traffic. I could have elbowed my way thru but I didn’t want to get on Custom’s naughty list. I know more than one pilot who was told to not come back to Canada when they didn’t honor the restrictions Customs instructed them to abide by.

Hi Richard, I missed you at the Cody convention, but you are welcome at my airstrip anytime you are passing through. We have lots of room for planes and people. 8 miles north east from cyxt on the Skeena River, :) I managed to get out today since I put the skis on. No snow at lower elevations but hope to get some soon. :lol: Cheers Bill
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Thanks Bill, looking forward to seeing you. If you have 2 runways with a red roof hangar, I see it on the satellite view. Nice secluded place. Glad you got to fly. Everything is covered with glare ice here in Anchorage, I couldn’t even push my plane out of the hangar. :(
Richard Pulley
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
It's not for sale!
cfzxo

Post by cfzxo »

Richard, that’s the airstrip.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Poncho73 wrote:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1969

Item 7
A-HA!

Whew! I knew I had a failing memory...but that one had me worried!

Here’s the comment: “ 7. Inspect the rudder cables where they pass through the rear bulkheads in the tailcone. You'll have to either pull them out for inspection, or add an inspection hole to the aircraft per the structural repair guidelines.”

I was NOT intending to imply a particular/existing modification-scheme existed.... I was recommending an inspection of the rudder control circuit...and noting the difficulty.... and that IF one want’s to install an inspection hole to do so in accordance with Cessna’s Structural Repair guidelines. Cessna will allow the creation of inspection holes under certain guidelines contained in the Structural Repair Manual.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

OK thanks George. As others have mentioned the aft area near the rudder cables is tight. I was hoping someone had installed an inspection hole. Judging from the group response it appears no one has....I will go back to the drawing board and have detailed look at whether there is even room. Thanks
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Other than a general, the only reason to go in there are to inspect the cable guides and cable condition. Based on your previous work, I would think with snap-on 1/4 drive flex sockets can make easy work at getting to the nuts in that area. On these planes Snap- ons are a must have.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
cfzxo

Post by cfzxo »

Jim, those of us with the 1955b models have a steering arrangement past the last bulkhead that is impossible to access unless you remove the vertical and horizontal stab. when I went into it at my last rebuild I found that two fairleads where bent not allowing the pulleys to turn, and who knows when they where last lubricated. I small access hole in this location would make inspections and maintenance so much easier. :D