Avionics Upgrade

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

stefancrucil

Avionics Upgrade

Post by stefancrucil »

Hi everyone,

looking to upgrade the panel in my 1952 170B. Wanting to do a radio stack on the pilot side with a GPS and 2nd comm. Also thinking of Garmin G5 AI and HSI as well as upgrading to CB's as it still has the fuses.

What has everyone done? can you show come pictures and estimated cost? I know it wont be cheap but wanting to get a ball park.

Also looking for recommendations for an avionics shop in BC, Canada.

Thanks for your help!
brian.olson

Re: Avionics Upgrade

Post by brian.olson »

Highly recommend it, depending upon your rationale. I had a Garmin GTN650 and a Garmin G5 (HSI) installed about a year and a half ago and would do it again in a second. I opted not to install a second comm as the GTN allows for monitoring of a second comm channel and I carry a portable in my flight bag in case of failure. The rationale for me to upgrade the panel was to be able to fly the plane in light IFR (I got my IFR ticket just on the old steam gauges, then upgraded afterwards) which substantially improves the utility of the plane and the safety of this pilot. While I don't fly in hard IFR, I do file IFR nearly every time I take a trip and utilize the full extent of the equipment - it's invaluable and a great combination. I had a few other things done at the same time so it's tough to actually pinpoint the exact amount I paid, but it was in the neighborhood of $18k. The avionics shop where I had the work done (Atlanta, GA metro area) just recently advertised a GTN650 + 2 G5s fully-installed for 18k, so it appears the price may be dropping just a bit. At some point I'll likely add a second Garmin G5 (Artificial Horizon). I did a lot of soul-searching, research on the forum's opinion(s), and head-scratching on the price before I pulled the trigger and I'm glad that I did. There are others on the forum whom have upgraded as well, but with different combinations of equipment, and you will want to get their opinions as well as formulate your own.
IMG_5335.JPG
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
IA DPE

Post by IA DPE »

Mine is in the shop right now getting a GTN-355 and two GI-275s. I’m completely eliminating the vacuum system. Leaving the SL-30 in for ILS and second Comm capabilities. Last year I put in a L3 Lynx transponder for ADS-B In/ Out.

Like Brian, I want light IFR capability/ safety. Average stage length when not local is > 200 miles and I’m too old and tired to scud run when I could have been on top where it’s smooth and cool.
1955 C170B N2993D s/n 26936
1986 DG-400 N9966C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I often file IFR on CAVU days because it simplifies and enhances the safety of the flight and I don’t have to worry about inadvertently bustin’ into someone’s airspace or risk being too close to the unexpected cloud. Meanwhile it keeps me IFR-current and makes ATC-procedures routine and familiar.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
dstates

Post by dstates »

This last October I did a large upgrade to my panel. I started with a 170A with no vacuum system, no ADS-B, no attitude indicator, no GPS, and an inop nav receiver (KX170b). My goal is to have a light IFR plane.

What I thought I wanted was dual G5’s, a GTN 650 GPS/Nav/Com, and a GTX 345 transponder. However, I couldn’t afford that all at once. I put priority on a new transponder so I could fly into the nearby class C airspace. I thought I might just do he G5’s and the GTX 345 to start, but without a WAAS GPS source you have to get the version of the transponder with its own internal GPS which was another grand.

To avoid that extra expense, I had dual G5’s and a GNX 375 installed. That gave me a GPS and ADS-B in one box. I plan on upgrading my KX170b next year with a GNC 255 Nav/Com. Once I have that last step done I’ll have both GPS and ILS approach capabilities showing on the G5 HSI. And if you compare the price of a GNX 375 plus GNC 255 it is much less than a GTN 650 and GTX 345.

I was fine with the square G5’s. My panel was already far from original. If you want the round gauges you can go with the GI 275’s, but they are pricey and seem too small and info packed for a touchscreen in my opinion.

Just my $0.02.
Doug
E3216432-2431-45B1-9B7F-E0E7932F4602.jpeg
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
Richgj3

Post by Richgj3 »

I bought my 170B last year and had the avionics installed during the pre buy/annual/ upgrade. I did not go the G5 route just because I wanted to keep the panel looking original. Maybe a mistake but time will tell. I installed:

Garmin GMA 345 audio panel
Garmin GTX 375 GPS/Transponder. ADS B in and out, traffic weather LPV approaches etc.
Garmin GNC 255 Nav Comm
Garmin GNC 225 Comm
Loc/Glideslope indicator head switchable between the GPS and the 255 nav Comm.
And all the antennas.
The package with pre wired harness totaled $21K.
The installation was done by the seller along with a ton of other work, so I can’t break that labor out. The seller had restored this airplane in the past and wouldn’t let just anybody touch his panel ! The installation was then certified by the Garmin dealer that provided the equipment.

Sorry for the sideways photo.
Attachments
B3BD1EB8-8D9C-4DE8-A494-4FDA5A0C45DF.jpeg
743E36DE-8EB3-46A9-9CDF-904A1A134484.jpeg
Rich Giannotti CFI-A. CFI-I SE.
1952 C170B
N2444D s/n 20596
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Very pretty, Rich!
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
stefancrucil

Post by stefancrucil »

Looks awesome Rich! Thanks everyone for the feedback, I’ll post a few pictures of what I decide to install.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Great topic. I've been pondering avionics upgrades too. Specifically adding a GNC 355 and some G5's or the Aspen E5 so I can do some IFR training. I'd love to hear from anyone that has done the Aspen E5 too. It seems like the E5 has more capability than a pair of Garmin G5s. It also keeps some symmetry in the panel.

In either case the downside with those options is that you end up with square pegs in round holes. I wish the GI-275 weren't so pricy they would make for a nice setup too.
Last edited by Aaron on Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Rich,
That has to be one of the nicest panels I've ever seen. The red and gray looks fantastic together. Like the way you've made the smaller bezels for the EGT and T&B. Any hints to how you made those? The small suction replacing the cigar lighter is clever too. I noticed the stall warning was missing or maybe it was to the right, out of the picture frame. Or did you decide to just go with the hidden buzzer like later model Cessnas? In any case, thanks for sharing the photo.
Gary
Richgj3

Post by Richgj3 »

Gary

Thanks

I just spent 15 minutes composing a response only to have it cause an SQL error. Not the first time on this forum, so I’m done with this amateur software.

If you want to continue, email me at richgj3 at aol dot com

In summary, I didn’t do the work.

Rich
Rich Giannotti CFI-A. CFI-I SE.
1952 C170B
N2444D s/n 20596
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Richgj3 wrote:Gary

Thanks

I just spent 15 minutes composing a response only to have it cause an SQL error. Not the first time on this forum, so I’m done with this amateur software.

If you want to continue, email me at richgj3 at aol dot com

In summary, I didn’t do the work.

Rich
On the off-chance you check back, I get that error when I try to use emoticons from an Apple mobile device. It happened to me again just a day or so ago; you’d think after 7 years I’d learn...
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

“SQL” error msgs occur when a string or syntax is unrecognized by software. An example is if you send the number 8 and the closed-parenthesis... you will not get the number eight within parenthesis... you will get 8). And if you send some other type of symbol which conflicts with the software you will get an SQL-error-msg. The solution is to use plain language or spell-out numerals which end with closed-parentthesis, etc. It’s rare... It’s odd... but it’s not insurmountable to use plain language when it interferes.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

I have lost several long responses in the past that I spent a long time preparing on my iPad or MacBook so I know the frustration of that. So what I do now BEFORE I ever hit “submit” is ALWAYS tap and hold on the screen over the text until I see the “select - select all” box appear and I “select all” and “copy”. Then, if the post doesn’t send the first time, I can open a new reply box and “paste” the response and try again.

I have no idea how any of this software works or what is good or bad and I am continually amazed any of it works as well as it does at all. My iPhone and iPad occasionally lose their minds and lock up. A shutdown/restart is required before they will do anything else. And I bet they have the most professional software in the world.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
mmcmillan2

Post by mmcmillan2 »

Y’all have some nice panels! I’d like to add the Garmin 175 LPV to my panel one day. I’m thinking about adding a used King DME if it could be done cheap. Most approaches require DME.
1686B626-0991-4789-84C6-4B83A76C1212.jpeg
170B owner, KCFD, CFI(I), ATP Multi