Clean, Buff, or Paint?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

reecewallace

Clean, Buff, or Paint?

Post by reecewallace »

My white 170B has dirty/oily hand prints on some areas of it where it's been moved over the years. It also has some oil streak strains which I've been unable to remove.

I washed and scrubbed my plane with soapy water hoping it would remove these blemishes, but no luck. The paint has lost it's gloss, so it's a somewhat of a 'dry' or matte finish now and these stains don't lift as easily.

Any suggestions to getting these off? I also tried Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, but no luck.

I tried an orbital sander with a buffing wheel attached today (no solvent, wax, or polish used) on it, but again no luck.
Attachments
IMG_2205.JPG
- Reece
1956 Cessna 170b
Nanaimo, BC Canada
cessna170bdriver

Re: Clean, Buff, or Paint?

Post by cessna170bdriver »

You might try Extreme Simple Green for aircraft (NOT plain Simple Green, which contains ingredients not compatible with aluminum).

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... ckkey=6888
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Turtle-Wax-R ... r/16767855

Reece, I have had pretty good results returning flat paint to glossy using "Color Back".
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
reecewallace

Post by reecewallace »

cessna170bdriver wrote:You might try Extreme Simple Green for aircraft (NOT plain Simple Green, which contains ingredients not compatible with aluminum).

Cheers, I've ordered a gallon to try out
- Reece
1956 Cessna 170b
Nanaimo, BC Canada
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

cessna170bdriver wrote:You might try Extreme Simple Green for aircraft (NOT plain Simple Green, which contains ingredients not compatible with aluminum).

Do NOT use Simple Green on an airplane which is bare aluminum....not even the Simple Green Aircraft version. It will leave an anodized “smudge” apperance on bare aluminum and the Simple Green Customer Service lady became downright abusive when I contacted her about the damage done to the aluminum. (The Mil-Spec they quote is not even applicable for a cleansing-agent.... it’s for environmental affects on wiring and insulation. They offer a Mil-Spec their product meets in a subtle effort to convince that the product is somehow appropriate for aircraft.... expecting the public to not research to see if the Mil-Spec quoted is applicable for the end-users purposes.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
reecewallace

Post by reecewallace »

GAHorn wrote:

Do NOT use Simple Green on an airplane which is bare aluminum....not even the Simple Green Aircraft version. It will leave an anodized “smudge” apperance on bare aluminum and the Simple Green Customer Service lady became downright abusive when I contacted her about the damage done to the aluminum. (The Mil-Spec they quote is not even applicable for a cleansing-agent.... it’s for environmental affects on wiring and insulation. They offer a Mil-Spec their product meets in a subtle effort to convince that the product is somehow appropriate for aircraft.... expecting the public to not research to see if the Mil-Spec quoted is applicable for the end-users purposes.
Fortunately, I don't have any bare aluminum on my plane. The entire thing is painted.

I ordered some, so I'll try it on a small inconspicuous area first to see how it goes.

In your opinion, think it will be alright on painted surfaces? If not, any other powerful cleaning suggestions safe?
- Reece
1956 Cessna 170b
Nanaimo, BC Canada
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

I have had good luck bringing back a nice polish on faded Imron using a random orbital buffer and regular Turtle Wax rubbing compound. The results were amazing. Then rubbed in a coat of Rejex and the shine has been there for over 5 years now. The plane was painted in 1991 and spot painted on leading edges, struts, and horiz stab last year and it still looks like new.
25yr old Imron paint being polished with rubbing compound
25yr old Imron paint being polished with rubbing compound
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Back when I had exhaust pipes through the cowl (painted), Extreme Simple Green was the only product I found that would even touch exhaust stains, and it took them off like they were powdered sugar. I can’t say what it does to bare aluminum, but it never caused any ill effects on an Imron surface.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

When the Red Baron Pizza Stearman team visited my town back in the mid-80s I helped them get ready for the next days’ flight...and was surprised to see how they cleaned off exhaust stains... They used Dow Bathroom Cleaner “Scrubbing Bubbles”. It was amazingly effective. NO RUBBING was necessary...just spray it on.... watch it foam up on the surface....wipe it off with a paper-towel. Stains are gone!

I used it on the belly of my Aeronca for the next several years and never had a problem. I will caution that it removes dead or “chalky” paint... I’ve not seen it penetrate to metal, but the rag will come away from the cowling with a tint-of-color of painted surfaces. The cowling did not appear injured by it, but if there’s dead paint...the dead surface of it comes off onto the paper towel in a slight residue. Test in a small inconspicuous spot.

I recently detailed our SkyHawk (3 years on new paint job) and it did not transfer any color.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

Our long gone 170 friend/member Joe Harris put me on to Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom/kitchen sink handles as a cleaner for the crud on my plane's belly. Applied in fairly small areas, allowed to foam up, wiped off with a rag, not paper towels (although I haven't tried the paper towels). Its messy depending on the amount of oil/crud on the belly. If there is a stubborn area, respray it. NOTE: Only use the aerosol spray type. The pump type doesn't work. Afterward go back with a clean cloth and wipe off any haze and it will shine like a newly waxed surface.
You can also purchase the Walmart version of Scrubbing Bubbles and it works just as well plus is less expensive. Never had any paint damage using either brand.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
darhymes

Post by darhymes »

I had a very similar problem with oily fingerprints in the paint on my old truck. I tried several products and had little luck. Simple Green was one of the most effective at removing them but not completely and the finish still remained dull. I used a clay bar with soap and was able to completely remove the fingerprints and actually restore some of the shine. Took some time, though!

As for the exhaust stains...a buddy gave me an old bottle of X-IT Carbon Remover. It easily and completely removed the stains including the stuff that everything else couldn’t remove. I bought a gallon from Spruce the next day.
Dustin Rhymes
'55 170B N4410B S/N 26754
'06 G550 “The Silver Bullet”
flat country pilot

Post by flat country pilot »

Flat Country Pilot
Farm Field PVT
54 C170B