Trim Setting for Takeoff

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

counsellj

Re: Trim Setting for Takeoff

Post by counsellj »

GAHorn wrote:Just for fun.... sometime (with someone qualified in the right seat).... trim your airplane however you normally do.... then about 100’ let go of the yoke and slide your seat fully-back.... and see what happens. :wink:
I think that is about the equivalent of Dakota moving all the way to the back of the extended baggage shortly after takeoff en route to the hunting fields. Keeps my trim system well used. :D

Good recommendation though George. I think I'll go simulate that and maybe make a video of it to share.

Jughead
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

counsellj wrote:
GAHorn wrote:Just for fun.... sometime (with someone qualified in the right seat).... trim your airplane however you normally do.... then about 100’ let go of the yoke and slide your seat fully-back.... and see what happens. :wink:
I think that is about the equivalent of Dakota moving all the way to the back of the extended baggage shortly after takeoff en route to the hunting fields. Keeps my trim system well used. :D

Good recommendation though George. I think I'll go simulate that and maybe make a video of it to share.

Jughead
Maybe blindfolded as well?
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

George, letting go the control wheel and sliding the seat back on take off and you call that “FUN” even with some one sitting besides you . Nah, no way .Too many possibilities of a permanent mark on the ground happening. Call me chicken ,at least I am not a dead rooster. .
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

daedaluscan wrote:
counsellj wrote:

Jughead
Maybe blindfolded as well?
Dakota doesn't like blindfolds, Plus he relies on his sense of smell, not sight for his best work.
Mark A

Post by Mark A »

So my problem was not holding forward pressure on the yoke long enough and letting the plane try to take off before it was ready. Thanks for the comments.