BAS seatbelts

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

thejetjerk

BAS seatbelts

Post by thejetjerk »

Cessna 170 gang,

On my list is BAS shoulder harness, anyone with experience with these believe that the Rotary buckle option is worth an extra $700? Thanks in advance.

Happy flying,
Thejetjerk
IA DPE

Re: BAS seatbelts

Post by IA DPE »

Mine has them and I love them. Easy to remove shoulder straps after takeoff on a long flight, and easy to latch them again before landing.
1955 C170B N2993D s/n 26936
1986 DG-400 N9966C
wabuchanan

Post by wabuchanan »

I use a rotary buckle in my track car with a 6 strap harness because that is really the only option. Although I like that system, in my 170 I chose to keep it really simple and opted for the standard belt arrangement where the shoulder straps are permanently attached to the lap belt with a standard seatbelt buckle.

I don't have any seaplane options, so am comfortable with the permanently attached shoulder belts.

I have found that the simplicity of not having to look for the shoulder belts either velcroed to the plane or dangling behind my seat to be advantageous, and the simplicity for my passengers to buckle up is a big factor for me.

A good friend of mine has the rotary buckle from BAS, and he loves it. But he also likes the option of removing his shoulder belts in flight that the rotary allows him. Personally, the BAS inertia system is so good that I have no problems wearing the shoulder belts all the time. I virtually don't even know they are there when reaching for the flap handle etc.
1950 170A N5776C SN:19730
flat country pilot

Post by flat country pilot »

I have the utility belts and keep them buckled all the time so that the shoulder straps are not dangling around, and no Velcro. No, I would not pay for the rotary buckle, no way. If you think the utility straps will be hanging loose in your plane, or that you need to Velcro them to the headliner, then buy the standard belt.
Flat Country Pilot
Farm Field PVT
54 C170B