Part Numbers Needed

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

reecewallace

Part Numbers Needed

Post by reecewallace »

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some specific part numbers in the Cessna parts catalog, but can't find them or the proper part #s.

1. Ignition wiring harness for Bendix mags C-145-2/O-300
2. No Blow Exhaust gaskets for C-145-2/O-300
3. Generator gasket

Any help is appreciated!
Last edited by reecewallace on Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
- Reece
1956 Cessna 170b
Nanaimo, BC Canada
ghostflyer

Re: Help With Parts?

Post by ghostflyer »

I would be looking at Spruce catalogue . They are a “reasonable “ price . It’s on line . If you wish to buy from Cessna , may I have the gold wrapping ?
reecewallace

Re: Help With Parts?

Post by reecewallace »

ghostflyer wrote:I would be looking at Spruce catalogue . They are a “reasonable “ price . It’s on line . If you wish to buy from Cessna , may I have the gold wrapping ?
I'm not looking to purchase them from Cessna. I'm looking for the part #'s in the Cessna 170B parts catalog, which I would then use to order the parts from Aircraft Spruce or Progressive. I can't order them without the part #s though, regardless of where I get them from.
- Reece
1956 Cessna 170b
Nanaimo, BC Canada
GAHorn

Re: Part Numbers Needed

Post by GAHorn »

Reece, I know it seems like this should be a simple matter to provide you the PNs you want... but it’s not. The “original” part numbers for the Bendix mag harnesses ... AS SHOWN in the TCM Illustrted Parts Catalog.... if I gave you that number (happens to be 531062A1) and you ordered that number...you’d likely get something so obsolete you’d be angry at me over it.

If you have Bendix S6LN-21 mags... the question next to be asked is..DO you want just the harness (the individual wires)...?? Or do you want the entire assembly to include the mag Plate also...?? For the Left..?? Or the Right...?? Or do you have some other Bendix/Scintilla magneto...??

In any case, the part numbers you are requesting are Engine Part Numbers....not Cessna Part Numbers....so you should be looking at the TCM Continenetal illustrated parts catalog X-30014 ...(which by the way will give you obsolete numbers.... The superceded numbers are the ones I’m giving you below.)

If you are ordering from Spruce.... call them and give them your engine and magneto model numbers and they’ll be able to help you. I suspect you want their harness part number 12305-09.

The generator TCM gasket part number is: 652072
If you change that gasket you should also change the tach drive seal, PN 642714 because you have to remove the tach drive to change the gen gasket and if you don’t change the oil seal in that tach drive housing it’ll probably leak oil all the way up the tach drive cable and into your tachometer and cockpit and make a mess.

The spiral wound exhaust gaskets are Rapco or Superior PN 627429

It used to be simple to find what one wanted in a Spruce Catalog...not any mroe....they’ve made it downright difficult. But you might find it easier if instead of useing part numbers.... use their “Search” routine and enter words such as “O300 exhaust gasket”.... it usually works much better that way.

Hope this helps.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
reecewallace

Post by reecewallace »

GAHorn wrote:Reece, I know it seems like this should be a simple matter to provide you the PNs you want... but it’s not. The “original” part numbers for the Bendix mag harnesses ... AS SHOWN in the TCM Illustrted Parts Catalog.... if I gave you that number (happens to be 531062A1) and you ordered that number...you’d likely get something so obsolete you’d be angry at me over it.

If you have Bendix S6LN-21 mags... the question next to be asked is..DO you want just the harness (the individual wires)...?? Or do you want the entire assembly to include the mag Plate also...?? For the Left..?? Or the Right...?? Or do you have some other Bendix/Scintilla magneto...??

In any case, the part numbers you are requesting are Engine Part Numbers....not Cessna Part Numbers....so you should be looking at the TCM Continenetal illustrated parts catalog X-30014 ...(which by the way will give you obsolete numbers.... The superceded numbers are the ones I’m giving you below.)

If you are ordering from Spruce.... call them and give them your engine and magneto model numbers and they’ll be able to help you. I suspect you want their harness part number 12305-09.

The generator TCM gasket part number is: 652072
If you change that gasket you should also change the tach drive seal, PN 642714 because you have to remove the tach drive to change the gen gasket and if you don’t change the oil seal in that tach drive housing it’ll probably leak oil all the way up the tach drive cable and into your tachometer and cockpit and make a mess.

The spiral wound exhaust gaskets are Rapco or Superior PN 627429

It used to be simple to find what one wanted in a Spruce Catalog...not any mroe....they’ve made it downright difficult. But you might find it easier if instead of useing part numbers.... use their “Search” routine and enter words such as “O300 exhaust gasket”.... it usually works much better that way.

Hope this helps.
This is very helpful information, thank you.

I have the Bendix S6LN-21 mags. I'm having a signifiant power drop on my left mag at high RPM even after replacing all my plugs and mags recently overhauled. It's leading my AME to believe it's an issue with the ignition harness.

I'm not sure whether or not to order just the ignition wiring harness, or the harness with the plate?? It's for my left mag.

Regarding the generator seal, the part # you provided 652072 on AC links me to an alternator gasket, "gasket for engine that has been converted from generator to alternator": https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/e ... gasket.php

I looked through my tech logs and it looks like last time it was replaced it was with this part: https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/e ... gasket.php

I'm still running the old-school style generator on my O-300
- Reece
1956 Cessna 170b
Nanaimo, BC Canada
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

The gasket George linked to is the same for a generator or alternator and is the gasket you are looking for. The gasket used last time on your engine is incorrect and can lead to a leak between the tach drive and the generator. Fact is many flat rate mechanics will get the correct gasket, cut off the area for the tach drive so they don't have to remove that thinking they are saving time. Then they get to do the job a 2nd time when it leaks.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com