Uavionics TailbeaconX

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

brianm

Re: Uavionics TailbeaconX

Post by brianm »

The skyBeacon and original tailBeacon both support "anonymous mode", which will return a random hex code and "VFR" callsign if you are squawking 1200. You can enable it with the configuration app. Some other 986 MHz/UAT ADSB transponders also have similar features. Unfortunately anonymous mode isn't allowed with 1090 MHz units including the tailBeaconX.
Brian M
N2669V - '48
GAHorn

Re: Uavionics TailbeaconX

Post by GAHorn »

brianm wrote:The skyBeacon and original tailBeacon both support "anonymous mode", which will return a random hex code and "VFR" callsign if you are squawking 1200. You can enable it with the configuration app. Some other 986 MHz/UAT ADSB transponders also have similar features. Unfortunately anonymous mode isn't allowed with 1090 MHz units including the tailBeaconX.
Thx for pointing that out.

I am pretty certain that the only people to whom you are “anonymous” is other prying eyes, competitors, and flight-aware gazers…. IF FAA wants to know who you are I’m convinced they know thru their software.

I was somewhat disappointed that Canada has not announced exceptions to visitors below 10K or outside Class C or A airspace… just so little guys can travel to AK and back. I’m hoping they’ll consider such an exclusion, because I still dream of running the trench some day.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)