Uavionics TailbeaconX

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

lowNslow

Uavionics TailbeaconX

Post by lowNslow »

Just received the latest 170 News Quarterly and under the Parts/Maintenanve Report they refer to the new uAvionics Tailbeacon. The one describe is actually the TailbeaconX, just wanted to make sure no one got the wrong one- they are very different.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Uavionics TailbeaconX

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Karl is referring to George Horns Parts and Maintenance Report given for the Mid Year board meeting and reported in the minutes of that meeting.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The MX Advisors’ Report is a report to the Board of Directors regarding the activities of the Assoc’n MX Advisor...not a technical document. The reference to the uAvionix “tailBeacon” product in that report was never intended to be a technical/selection/installation document, (it is expected that anyone shopping for avionics will consult official sources and manufacturers and suppliers for the necessary details of any product....not reliance upon an “Activity-Report”)...however the report was amended because Karl Towle (as Director having received a draft-copy) recommended making the distinction in the report. The distinction was made during the meeting and the final/full “report” was so noted in the Minutes of the meeting. It’s important that anyone working on or modifying their airplanes use “Approved” sources and documents for performing that work and not rely upon Minutes from a business-meeting report. :wink:

BTW: The “minutes” of any Assoc’n meeting are to be read at the next business meeting and “approved” as read at that meeting. It is not uncommon for meeting minutes to contain errors and omissions and for subsequent “approval” to overlook or fail to correct details of the recorded-minutes. I have personally submitted corrections to official minutes of meetings on several occasions which were not subsequently revised or re-submitted for “approval” vote. It’s not a condemnation of anyone that this happens in our Assoc’n.... I’m only offering a caution for anyone/everyone not to rely on Minutes-of-Meetings for important decision-making, especially as regards anything that requires due-diligence.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

My comment was not meant to criticize you or Karl, as the secretary for a glider club I know how errors can and do get into minutes. I was only pointing out the there is a difference between the TailBeacon and TailbeaconX and point out the discrepancy in a document that was sent to the entire membership including those who do not participate in this forum.
Should members do their homework before ordering items to install in their aircraft? Of course, but you and I know this does not always happen.
Karl
ASW-20BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

lowNslow wrote:My comment was not meant to criticize you or Karl, as the secretary for a glider club I know how errors can and do get into minutes. I was only pointing out the there is a difference between the TailBeacon and TailbeaconX and point out the discrepancy in a document that was sent to the entire membership including those who do not participate in this forum.
Should members do their homework before ordering items to install in their aircraft? Of course, but you and I know this does not always happen.
No offense taken, Karl... however, everyone keep reading thru-to-the-end...where the Minutes close the Amended Report with “ The tailBeaconX will allow the removal of the original transponder. The tailBeacon, like the skyBeacon on the wingtip, requires a working transponder and encoder to be retained. Bob Jolley moved to approve the Parts/Maintenance Advisor's report as amended. ”

As further mention, Karl Towle adds comments regarding the actual control of the txdr function being limited to only certain controllers. Hope this helps.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

GAHorn wrote: As further mention, Karl Towle adds comments regarding the actual control of the txdr function being limited to only certain controllers. Hope this helps.
Yes, if you buy a TailBeaconX you must also buy a uAvionics AV-30-C display to control the transponder function - $4200 for both.
Karl
ASW-20BL
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

lowNslow wrote:
GAHorn wrote: As further mention, Karl Towle adds comments regarding the actual control of the txdr function being limited to only certain controllers. Hope this helps.
Yes, if you buy a TailBeaconX you must also buy a uAvionics AV-30-C display to control the transponder function - $4200 for both.
I am not sure that is correct. If you have the AV30 you can ditch the transponder, but my understanding is that the Tailbeacon X will work as a standalone solution like a normal tailbeacon?
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

daedaluscan wrote:
lowNslow wrote:
I am not sure that is correct. If you have the AV30 you can ditch the transponder, but my understanding is that the Tailbeacon X will work as a standalone solution like a normal tailbeacon?
If you want to keep your transponder that may be true but I don't know if it will transmit without a transponder code. From their FAQ section:
"TailBeaconX is a replacement for your existing transponder. tailBeaconX meets the requirements for use in all Mode A/C/S transponder required airspace as well as airspace requiring ADS-B Out. If you are looking for a retrofit solution to work alongside your existing transponder you might be interested in the original tailBeacon."

They don't say if you can use it without the transponder control function.
Karl
ASW-20BL
RKair

Post by RKair »

TailbeaconX is worldwide and oceanic :?: satellite ADS-B.

uAvionix website: A skyBeacon/tailBeacon can legally be used to enter and exit United States airspace. Pilots must also be familiar with and comply with the destination country’s ADS-B rules if applicable. At this time Canada, Mexico, and the Bahamas do not have any ADS-B requirements for light aircraft. (as of 4/30/20)

If you do lots of mountain shadow flying you should consider the TailbeaconX for better emergency location coverage. CAP will hate you because it cuts into our free flying time. (I am kidding.)
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Looked at and looking at the “X” , I’ve been trying to avoid spending the cash on ADSB but found myself re-reading the specs again last night even. I’d like to think I could make our next convention with the ability to go into control zones as before the new regs, especially if I really needed to.
Re-reading their website, the X is approved in the US but not yet approved in Canada as there is no requirement for ADSB , hence no approval. The unit will work with the Aireon system, but does the X unit use all the capabilities of the ADSB system ? and will Canadian approval requirements (when will they come) require more capability ?
Seems the landscape is changing so fast Uavionics can’t even update their website to reflect what they offer. They probably will evolve into the go to company for drones, maybe that’s the real reason for low level ADSB, drone avoidance :D .
What I’m finding is patch work solutions. I need WGPS for my new 406 ( I bought a 406 when it first came out, now that unit is done) also need an input from GPS for my radios and need ADSB . Note in Canada a 406 is required for flight.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

That exactly why I bought a used Tailbeacon to get me legal for now. Knowing Canada it will be many years before we make a decision.

( and still waiting on mag parts- aaargh)
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

ADSB with diversity should cover everything in most countries.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

As I understand it you need an X for diversity, you need the Av-30 to control the x for certified and you need a additional GPS source to really use a AV-30. Maybe other stuff too.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Ok, you win, that’s way above my pay grade Jim. :lol:
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Richard I’m not that well informed and I was hoping someone else knew much more. Two years ago I bought and installed two gtr 225 radios. Now I wish I had bough5 one 225 and bought a garmin 430 just so I would have a WAAs gps. Just get the feeling there’s got to be a simpler way to be compliant for ADSB. Get the feeling the patchwork will end up in having a row of cigarette lighter sockets and wires running all over the panel. :D
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS