Uavionics TailbeaconX

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

c170b53

Re: Uavionics TailbeaconX

Post by c170b53 »

Well we are still awaiting approval on Tailbeacon X. Thought I might just go with plain wingtip unit but I see the 170 is not on the approval list, am I missing something ? Burlington is coming up
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Jim, there was no approval list. The FAA made several special allowances in order to make ADS-B easer to get approved for every aircraft. Funny how this works when THEY want it too. It was assumed that with limitations, once a product was approved, it was good for all aircraft. The second thing they did is have a special way to fill out the FAA 337. The limitations I mentioned were along the lines of you had to nearly follow the basic install instructions. One couldn't use velcro, that sort of thing.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Karl Towle

Post by Karl Towle »

The tailBeaconX is a total solution to surveillance. It incorporates a Mode S transponder, which accomplishes the functions of Mode C + Altitude. Some may recall the FAA at one point wanted to mandate we all install Mode S transponders. The Airlines did, but GenAv got a pass.

So, you install this unit in place of your aft position light - if you have a compatible physical mount. It needs power (already there) but in addition, it needs a serial bus data connection to control it. The protocol it uses is UCP, UCP-HD and Apollo over RS-232 (which will require 2 or 3 wires inside a shielded cable.) In addition to the companies own AV-20 and AV-30 instruments, here's a current list of other ways to control the unit from an EFIS:
tailBeaconX.jpg
There may be others that might work, as long as they include a transponder interface function, and use the above listed protocols to talk to the tranponder. However, since there are no others listed, the installer/owner would be on their own with such experimentation (until you can find someone else who's done it). Oh, the tailBeaconX is also configured via a WiFi link from your smart phone or iPad with a downloaded app - just like the skyBeacon and tailBeacon are. Finally, uAvionix releases firmware updates from time to time, and they are not difficult to install with a WiFi equipped Windoze laptop. This is speculation, but I'm reasonably confident uAvionix will release updates to comply with slight differences in country specific rules or protocols. That is, unless the difference outpaces what the hardware is capable of.

Hope this clarifies a few things.
brianm

Post by brianm »

I'm getting tempted to go with a TailbeaconX. The avionics shop was just barely able to get my KT76A through a 91.413 check, so I've already been keeping a lookout for a yellow-tagged replacement. uAvionix has a trade-up program from my SkyBeacon and I already have an AV-30-C so the upgrade would cost me $1500. Between the transponder and the encoder I would probably save 5 pounds, and I would reduce demand on the electrical system. Something to think about anyway.
Brian M
N2669V - '48
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Still waiting…..there must be more than meets the eye, their previous ADSB products had rapid approval in comparison.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Karl Towle

Post by Karl Towle »

Jim, I can only imagine how much more complicated gaining approval for something that will be used internationally might get. From what I read, the tailBeaconX should meet all the reporting requirements of crossing the north Atlantic on the NAT tracks. They may also be getting interference from other manufacturers that don't want to lose their market share to an upstart with an innovative, but much less expensive unit. I think it was at Cody where we heard the prediction by a certain manufacturer's rep; that uAvionix would never get their skyBeacon approved. I for one, am kind of glad that prediction turned out to be false.
Karl Towle

Post by Karl Towle »

brianm wrote:uAvionix has a trade-up program from my SkyBeacon and I already have an AV-30-C so the upgrade would cost me $1500. Between the transponder and the encoder I would probably save 5 pounds, and I would reduce demand on the electrical system.
Brian - a comment on your theoretical $1500 upgrade cost. That would purchase you the tailBeacon unit, but (unless you can do all of the work yourself) you'll still have to pay for a data cable run from your instrument panel, back to the rudder and the associated connectors. There will also be some configuration chores on both the tailBeacon, and the AV-30-C in the panel. Just wanted to insert these details for all who are considering this option.
brianm

Post by brianm »

Fortunately I have a great relationship with my A&P and I can do everything except the paperwork myself. He'll charge me for his time for that and I'll probably need to buy some materials but I still figure it would be doable for $2000, minus whatever I might be able to recoup by selling the old transponder and encoder.
Brian M
N2669V - '48
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Well broke down and purchased the “X”, realized (somewhat late) that I can’t take all when I go.
Just starting the install and removing my strobe/taillight and wiring then installing the x, running the data cable up to mid cabin has taken better part of two days ( corrosion x in the fuselage belly did assist in getting me in and out of the fuselage tunnel :D .) Also upgrading my ELT (out with the perfectly functioning fine FAA banned Ameri-king 406, in with artex 345) so I don’t have to rip into the ceiling to route wires twice, a sure way to lose hair.
Two things I’m somewhat perplexed with, should I ditch the tall strobe or find another location (but I really don’t want to make more holes in the fuselage) and how to restrain the rudder now that the x beacon’s “ vertical wings” make using Steve Jacobson leather sling shot method somewhat difficult. Hummm
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

c170b53 wrote:Well broke down and purchased the “X”, realized (somewhat late) that I can’t take all when I go.
Just starting the install and removing my strobe/taillight and wiring then installing the x, running the data cable up to mid cabin has taken better part of two days ( corrosion x in the fuselage belly did assist in getting me in and out of the fuselage tunnel :D .) Also upgrading my ELT (out with the perfectly functioning fine FAA banned Ameri-king 406, in with artex 345) so I don’t have to rip into the ceiling to route wires twice, a sure way to lose hair.
Two things I’m somewhat perplexed with, should I ditch the tall strobe or find another location (but I really don’t want to make more holes in the fuselage) and how to restrain the rudder now that the x beacon’s “ vertical wings” make using Steve Jacobson leather sling shot method somewhat difficult. Hummm
Well…since you’re spending money like you’re not going to outlive the wealth we all know you have…. :twisted:….. you could replace your rudder with an L-19 rudder which has dual-nav-light receptacles and re-install your old nav light.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Just slow upstairs George, but this is an expensive endeavour ( $4200 for the ADSB units then add for bits and pieces) just so I can go over the top of class C’s and occasionally stumble into them. What gnawed at me is the thought of limiting my options when faced with deteriorating weather, so I thought it best to have the x thus to deal with it now. In my defence of waffling, it was so iffy around certification and then after the availability. One day AC spruce didn’t have them then the next, they did. So took out the crowbar, opened the portable vault and summoned the courage to tell the master vault keeper (a bit afterwards of course, took a bit of time to chose the timing, well maybe alot afterwards). Combined with operational consideration there was also the pressure to keep up with the Wood’s.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Just went coast to coast, all good with the x. Only thing I would say is ATC may think they are dealing with a slow poke (maybe they are) but it takes a few pokes to set a code and when its rough, it takes a bit of twisting, pushing the little knob to comply and a heck of a good aim.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I’m also slow to pick up on this but now it seems I have a following or rather anyone with ADSB can be followed by going to flightaware and putting in the tail number. No more telling the boss you were somewhere, when you were not.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

c170b53 wrote:I’m also slow to pick up on this but now it seems I have a following or rather anyone with ADSB can be followed by going to flightaware and putting in the tail number. No more telling the boss you were somewhere, when you were not.
Maryanne is who convinced TransportCanada to mandate ADSB. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

c170b53 wrote:I’m also slow to pick up on this but now it seems I have a following or rather anyone with ADSB can be followed by going to flightaware and putting in the tail number. No more telling the boss you were somewhere, when you were not.
Simple fix Jim, take the boss with you!
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"