Tempest Oil Filter Adapter and Alternator Clearance

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

darhymes

Tempest Oil Filter Adapter and Alternator Clearance

Post by darhymes »

I decided to add a Tempest Oil Filter Adapter to my C-145 during the annual inspection. My IA started the installation yesterday but pointed out a clearance issue with the adapter and alternator. The upper part of the adapter housing and the lower part of the alternator are both trying to occupy the same 1/16" of space. The only way to mount the adapter (with the current alternator installed) is to remove some material from the alternator or the oil filter (or both-my vote is alternator). There happens to be an older 172 in the same shop with the same Tempest Adapter and alternator...a look at that plane revealed that someone had removed material from the alternator in order to make everything fit. It does not appear to have reduced the integrity of the alternator housing and was likely done a while back. My oil filter has 1/2" clearance from the engine mount and fuel hose (it's really close-had to measure it a couple times to be sure) so the only issue is the clearance between the adapter and the alternator.

Has anyone else experienced this difficulty? I can't be alone since the only other plane I've looked at so far had exactly the same issue. Sorry, no pics but I might get out to the shop later on. Will post some photos if I do.
Dustin Rhymes
'55 170B N4410B S/N 26754
'06 G550 “The Silver Bullet”
n2582d

Re: Tempest Oil Filter Adapter and Alternator Clearance

Post by n2582d »

Dustin,
Check out this thread.
Gary
darhymes

Post by darhymes »

Thanks, Gary. That was very helpful. We will speak with Tempest as well, but it appears the procedure is common and was even included in the earlier sets of instructions.
Dustin Rhymes
'55 170B N4410B S/N 26754
'06 G550 “The Silver Bullet”
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

For future reference for anyone researching the F&M/Reno/Tempest filter adapter installation, there is no interference with the Jasco alternator.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

I have the Ford alternator as used on early C172s and it fits with no alterations.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

lowNslow wrote:I have the Ford alternator as used on early C172s and it fits with no alterations.
You may have gotten lucky... The Ford alternators as used by Cessna can be rotated on the accessory case so that the oil filter adaptor does not interfere. If at first you don’t succeed.... try rotating the alternator one mounting-hole on the engine case.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)