Painting Wing Struts

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

reecewallace

Painting Wing Struts

Post by reecewallace »

Hi all,

The wing struts on my 170b are in need of new paint. The paint is cracked and faded, likely from the strut flexing, but it's time for a repaint.

Does anyone have experience in this? I'm looking for advice in the process, paint, primer, and clear coat/finish?

My plan:
1. Sand all old paint off using random orbital sander then do the tough spots by hand
2. Mask all areas not wanting to be painted
3. Prime struts - what primer? Corrosion inhibitor?
4. Spray paint struts flat white. What paint? I don't have a compressor or professional paint shop at my disposal, but I've had good luck and experience with spray paint in the past
5. Is it necessary to clear coat the finished product?

Thanks in advance
Attachments
IMG_3279-preview.JPG
- Reece
1956 Cessna 170b
Nanaimo, BC Canada
eskflyer

Re: Painting Wing Struts

Post by eskflyer »

1. DO NOT STRIP PAINT WITH A SANDER.
2. I USE THIS STRIPPER FOR AIRCRAFT PAINT / EPOXY .
https://www.socomore.com/shop/surface-p ... /spc-909n/
3. I AM RIGHT NOW STRIPPING ALL OF MY AIRPLANE AND POLISHING HER INSTEAD OF HAVING PAINT ON HER.
4. TALK WITH YOUR A&P / IA AND SEE WHAT ADVICE THEY GIVE YOU ON RECOATING.
AA16, SHORTWING and SPAMCAN FLYER, JP
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Using a proper stripper will be the first step. In 2018 Sea to Sky in Burnaby developed a water based stripper (burb of Vancouver) but was bought by Socomore. They were the only local supplier of water based aircraft paint stripper. Don’t know who supplies the product now locally but I’d ask around the hangars in YCD to see who if anyone does paint. In YPK there’s a paint shop in the same Hangar complex where I hang on my aircraft. The hangers are located north side of 26L Taxiway Delta then take Echo in to Command Aviation ask for Brian the painter. He would be one source of stripper. I’ve got 5 gallons somewhere but you’ll only need 1/2 gallon. I’m sure there’s lots of posts on how to prep and paint after you’ve stripped the paint.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

As already stated. DO NOT ALLOW SAND PAPER anywhere near most any part of your airplane.

Corrosion inhibitor and paint are pollar opposites. Don't get any near what you want to paint or the paint will not stick. In fact if you look at planes that have been treated, you can often see areas the paint is lifting from the inhibitor if the paint was not applied well in the first place.

It is possible to do a decent job with spray paint. Well in my eyes anyway, Osh judges may not have the same view. But a small compressor bought or borrowed and a small "touch up" spray gun are not that expensive. You can then use a single or two stage auto paint and end up with a much more durable finish.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Abrasives such as “sandpaper” should only be used on composites such as fiberglas fairings, wingtips, etc. Scratches on metal eventually weaken it. (And hopefully your struts have NOT been flexing.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
reecewallace

Post by reecewallace »

c170b53 wrote:Using a proper stripper will be the first step. In 2018 Sea to Sky in Burnaby developed a water based stripper (burb of Vancouver) but was bought by Socomore. They were the only local supplier of water based aircraft paint stripper. Don’t know who supplies the product now locally but I’d ask around the hangars in YCD to see who if anyone does paint. In YPK there’s a paint shop in the same Hangar complex where I hang on my aircraft. The hangers are located north side of 26L Taxiway Delta then take Echo in to Command Aviation ask for Brian the painter. He would be one source of stripper. I’ve got 5 gallons somewhere but you’ll only need 1/2 gallon. I’m sure there’s lots of posts on how to prep and paint after you’ve stripped the paint.
Thanks for this. I picked up some industry aircraft paint stripper, too easy.

Is removing the wing strut so I can paint it a difficult task? I assume it's important to support the wings with ladders with blankets on top underneath each wingtip to prevent them from flexing/bending

No AME near me to help with removal. I'll have a guy come out to help reinstall/sign off but checking if it's pretty common sense removing them?
- Reece
1956 Cessna 170b
Nanaimo, BC Canada
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

why do you want to remove them...?? ... just for paint? Are the extruded end-fittings in need of attention? Do they have corrosion or other issues?

Removing them will introduce the issues of stressing/straining aileron and flap control cable systems, fuel tank plumbing, and perhaps pitot plumbing.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)