Ragwing Wing Spar Bolts

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Jaredpilot

Ragwing Wing Spar Bolts

Post by Jaredpilot »

We are finishing up the fabric job on my '48 and in the near term will be putting the wings back on the plane. I believe this is a good time to replace the Wing Spar bolts and associated hardware. I want to guarantee I am purchasing the correct parts. Can anyone advice where I find the correct part numbers for the Spar attachment bolts/nuts etc... I have seen a few diagrams floating around from a quick search of the forum but can't seem to find them myself with the exact part numbers.

Thanks in advance!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Ragwing Wing Spar Bolts

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Sometimes I wonder how hard it is to find these things in the IPC so I go ahead a look myself. Of course, you'd have to have a IPC.

Took less than 10 minutes as I passed over the spar to carry thru spar bolts on the first scroll of the IPC. Then I had to determine if the total number of bolts and nuts was for the entire aircraft or just the right and left. And then had to go back again as I remembered the ragwing has a rear strut.
Left front strut to spar bolts
Left front strut to spar bolts
Left rear strut to spar bolts
Left rear strut to spar bolts
Left Spar to carry thru  front and rear
Left Spar to carry thru front and rear
These are all for one side only. Double them if your installing 2 wings.

The only tricky part is the rear spar to rear carry thru bolt seems to be the same and listed with the front spar bolt.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Jaredpilot

Post by Jaredpilot »

Thanks Bruce! I do not have IPC and was struggling to find the parts! Much appreciated!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Jared wrote:Thanks Bruce! I do not have IPC and was struggling to find the parts! Much appreciated!
Just a gentle reminder that the FARs require that one have the proper manuals (documents, service manuals, Mfr’s guides/catalogs/etc) to work on airplanes. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Richgj3

Post by Richgj3 »

Jared
I have a rag wing IPC which you can have if you send me your address. I’ll mail it to you. I got that and a 170B IPC from the estate of a mechanic friend who passed recently. I don’t think I’ll ever need the 170 IPC.

Email me Richgj3 at AOL dot com
Rich Giannotti CFI-A. CFI-I SE.
1952 C170B
N2444D s/n 20596