New cylinder rework

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

flaglor

New cylinder rework

Post by flaglor »

I am doing a major OH on my O300 with new Superior cylinders. Considering sending them to PAP for balancing and valve prep before install. $350 each. Has anyone else done this and was it worth the money?
GAHorn

Re: New cylinder rework

Post by GAHorn »

Aircraft parts, especially FAA-PMA parts, are carefully mfr’d to meet OEM specifications, fit, and function. NEW parts are held to stringent NEW part standards.

For years there existed engine shops that “balanced” “ported” and otherwise claimed to improve factory new parts to some higher claimed status..... until the FAA noticed that many of the procedures had no basis of approval. Polishing and Porting cylinders and Balancing rotating parts beyond the approved dimensions and specifications might make one feel warm and fuzzy ... but just because a layman hears about Indianapolis race-car drivers who (basically are operating “experimental” cars) do this does not make a standardized aircraft part “better”. In fact, making it “better” than the Approved basis...alters the basis of approval. Not something I want on my airplane. YMMV

I think it will help empty your wallet. New Superior cylinders leave the Superior factory exactly as they should be installed. IMO
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

While not wishing to start a difference of opinion with George on this but some continental cylinders [new] have shown some shocking QC . In the past ,the cylinders that were shipped to us [9 of them] The casting on the cylinder heads left a lot to be desired . They were sent back to the factory with bright red paint indicating the areas of concern. They were replaced promptly . They all might come with 8130 ticket but I would be inspecting them very closely before fitment. . The sumps on some Lycomings have been found to be porous . I was caught out on this and it took me nearly a week to find the issue . I was shown corrosion on the inside of a Lycoming crankshalf which was new. That was a interesting blame game with this one . Lycoming blamed the vendor [reseller] and the vendor blamed the overhaul shop for not correctly storing the part.
While I am not being paid for this recommendation , have found superior cylinders and a majority of their parts to be of a very high quality . I do not think you would gain any thing in porting or polishing a superior cylinder ,just may be a lighter wallet. But saying how great superior products are ,their piston rings are a little softer and Lycoming rings are harder and better wearing . If I was to build up a superior engine ,I would use Lycoming rings . That my 2 cents worth.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

ghostflyer wrote:While not wishing to start a difference of opinion with George on this …...
Whassamatterwithyou…??? You tryin’ to stand out from the crowd..?? :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bathman

Post by Bathman »

Standard policy at my local overhaul shop to overhaul all new Continental cylinders before use.

Why? The standard of workmanship is shocking.
flaglor

Post by flaglor »

Therein lies the problem. It’s an unfortunate fact that the quality can be questionable, even when brand new. I would absolutely not use the Continental cylinders for this reason. My experience with Superior products has been better. $2100 to inspect what ought to be perfect new cylinders is ridiculous, but when you consider that you might gain a little performance also it becomes slightly more palatable.