1948 Landing Light Service/Repair

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

melcessna

1948 Landing Light Service/Repair

Post by melcessna »

The subject motor on my 170 needs repair as it won't fully retract. Does the Association recognize a repair shop or do we owners use an established local electrical repair shop? Any direction is appreciated. Thank you
Michael E. Lewis
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: 1948 Landing Light Service/Repair

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

You would be lucky to have such a local electrical repair shop. If you do I wouldn't hesitate to use them.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I doubt you’ll find any eletric-motor-repair company that will accept a repair request on your little motor after you tell them it goes on an airplane.

BUT… you might find a talented individual who works for such a company… who might take the task on just as a personal-interest. (I’m thinking now of the time my Baron cowl-flap actuators failed and I took it to a small appliance shop nearby who refused to work on them….but handed me a small zip-lok bag of Makita Drill Motor brushes which were a perfect replacement. Beech wanted $2400 each to refurbish them. I sold that Baron a year or so later and 21 years later it’s still flying with those cowl flap actuators. I know that because after it went to another state for 15 years…. the airplane is back in Texas and owned by an A&P/IA only ten miles from me.) :lol:

Here’s a place in your fair city you might check out….their website shows their workshop that gives the impression they are familiar with such things…(I see a Lockheed Electra Plaque on their Awards-Wall):
https://www.accuglobal.com/servo-motor-repair-indiana/

You’ve seen and downloaded the two repair documents found at our “members only” page, correct? (Having these in-hand while you discuss it with the repair person might encourage them to take a look at it….. assuming you don’t get curious yourself.) :wink:
https://cessna170.org/members/technical-documents/
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
melcessna

Post by melcessna »

Gentlemen, thank you very much.
Michael E. Lewis
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

I removed mine and the resident electronic expert at my airport fixed it. I also installed an LED bulb. The motor is pretty simple and has two sets of points. With the right guy you can get it operating again.
David Sbur

Post by David Sbur »

May want to try these folks if your local guys can't help. They specialize in Grimes stuff....

http://www.avliteaviation.com/contact.html
WA State Rep. Intl Cessna 120-140 Asso.
Cessna 140 1946 N110V
Vancouver WA
melcessna

Post by melcessna »

Again, many thanks.
Michael E. Lewis