Got her home.

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Kelly

Got her home.

Post by Kelly »

The deal was done 2 weeks ago and I was finally able to coordinate schedules and weather and brought her home. Left the house at 8am for a 9 am departure in a friends V tail Bonanza from CNV8 (Edenvale, ON.) to CYCC (Cornwall, ON.) typical airline, we left at 9:25 :lol: Another friend flew in from just south of Montreal (he was 40 minutes late cause of weather) cause they all wanted to see the new bird.

They all approved :D

So finally after getting the mains fuelled (Flint aux tanks installed) I departed at 1500 for CYEE (Midland, ON.) she gets off the ground quick with the Macaulay 8043. Climbed to 4500’ to start due to the cloud bases.

Talking with Ottawa terminal passing through their class C airspace and had to vector around some glider activity then direct CYEE. Clouds thinned out to scattered and climbed to 8500’ for some smooth air.

The plane flies hands off, not the fastest with that prop and the Horton stall kit but I didn’t buy this to go places fast :wink:

Passing Orillia at 8500’ the skies cleared as I get ready to start the descent.

After 2 hours and 35 minutes I come in and land on runway 16 with the wind about 20-30* off at 5-10kts. Full flaps..yup they do the job :lol: after flying my aerobatic mounts (4 partners) that are blind and come in at 90 the 170 is very sweet.

My girlfriend and partner in the 170 was at the fence filming the landing (no pressure) the plane made me look good (pponk 180 legs and Cleveland’s) and squeaked on in the 3 point for my first landing in her 8)

Finally parked and shut down at 1740 for 2.7. So C-FIDO after 3 years resting (love that name as well as what it can be short for :lol: ) is home and my girlfriend and I couldn’t be more happy with Fido.

Thanks to forum member Grizzly for passing on FIDO to us so we can be the caretakers for years to come.
Thanks to all the people that make the C170 association possible, what a great resource and glad to be a paid member!
GAHorn

Re: Got her home.

Post by GAHorn »

WELCOME HOME! ….

….and CONGRATULATIONS! …. not only on a fine choice of airplane, but on your FIRST POST! If we gave an award for First Post THIS one might be in the WINNERS CIRCLE! :lol:

Have you any previous experience in 170-aircraft to lend itself to your perceptions of FIDOs’ performance? (I’m picking up on the subjectivity which you offered.) One of the things you mentioned was the great visibility the 170 offers… and that is one of the GREAT features of the model in-comparison to other makes. I once helped a friend with his first airplane purchase and ferried the Stinson 108 he bought in the Houston area to Oklahoma…. and was reminded of the superior visibility we have in a Cessna. (The Stinson flew sweetly but was like sitting in an antique bathtub.)

I’m looking forward to some more posts from you and your partner….. again, WELCOME!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Welcome to the association. Looks like a nice machine, good luck with her, make sure you take her out often. Tons of info in the members section and ask away if you need further info. Hope you have the time to provide updates of your plane and of your areas of operation. PM me anytime if you need something and again thanks for joining the association.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

Thanks for the welcome gentlemen. I have no previous time in the 170. Flew in the back of L-19s as a kid with my dad. I have flown various types of tail draggers, Dh-82a, PT-26, Fleet Canuck, Extra 300, Maule M5 and still fly the three in the above photo. The grass strip we fly them from is 2300’ and coming in at 90 sure keeps you on your toes.

The girlfriend had a ride in the Maule last year and came back and the first thing she said was “I want a plane” love her!
Showed her a pic of a 182 and she what’s with the funny looking tire at the front :lol: So the plan was a 4 seat high wing tail dragger, did lots of research on here and the other type forums and lots of YouTube. Was looking at Stinson 108-3 but couldn’t get past the tail and what seemed to be a small rudder. The Pacer just was too small. Next was the Aeronca Sedan, flew a friends o-360 powered float version last year and loved the size but the range with the 360 wasn’t very long.

Loved the L-19 as a kid and the looks of the 170 kept drawing me back and it's perfect for our mission. Legs around 1-2 hours, the ability to carry 3 maybe 4 for a short trip around the patch, mainly just the two of us. Make the 2 hour drive to the aerobatic planes a 30 minute flight.

After the long day yesterday bringing her home I thought I would of had a great sleep last night but woke up at 4 am excited thinking about the plane.

I do a lot of forum searches looking for answers to my questions so might not ask a lot but if my search doesn’t turn up what I need I will be sure to reach out for help.
mmcmillan2

Post by mmcmillan2 »

Nice plane!
170B owner, KCFD, CFI(I), ATP Multi
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Kelly wrote:Thanks for the welcome gentlemen. I have no previous time in the 170. Flew in the back of L-19s as a kid with my dad. I have flown various types of tail draggers, Dh-82a, PT-26, Fleet Canuck, Extra 300, Maule M5 and still fly the three in the above photo. The grass strip we fly them from is 2300’ and coming in at 90 sure keeps you on your toes…...
I approach paved runways at 70-75 mph IAS….with 30-degrees flaps. I use 65 mph IAS on approach and over-the-fence at 60 mph with full flaps on short grass rwys. Try those numbers and see if you don’t like them.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

GAHorn wrote:
Kelly wrote:Thanks for the welcome gentlemen. I have no previous time in the 170. Flew in the back of L-19s as a kid with my dad. I have flown various types of tail draggers, Dh-82a, PT-26, Fleet Canuck, Extra 300, Maule M5 and still fly the three in the above photo. The grass strip we fly them from is 2300’ and coming in at 90 sure keeps you on your toes…...
I approach paved runways at 70-75 mph IAS….with 30-degrees flaps. I use 65 mph IAS on approach and over-the-fence at 60 mph with full flaps on short grass rwys. Try those numbers and see if you don’t like them.
The 90 is the approach speeds required for the aerobatic aircraft (One Design, Staudacher S300, Acrosport 2) into the 2300’ grass strip. I flew the 170 on approach at 70 slowing to 60 short final with full flap to the 4000’ paved runway. Way more relaxing than the high performance tail draggers.
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

GAHorn wrote:
Pretty much the same as I use, though if its calm and I'm happy I'll often use 60mph. I have a Sportsman cuff.

And that's a lovely looking plane. I don't think anyone ever regrets buying a 170.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

We are both loving it! Cooked her a lobster dinner to celebrate then took the happy co-owner up for a sunset flight around the area for her first time in her new ride.
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

Nice ride. I’m in Brampton, 48 170. I will take a flight to YEE to see the new ride. Did you see Al’s 170 in Cornwall while you were there?
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

Poncho73 wrote:Nice ride. I’m in Brampton, 48 170. I will take a flight to YEE to see the new ride. Did you see Al’s 170 in Cornwall while you were there?
No I didn’t, was just in lust with mine didn’t notice anything else :lol:
For sure come on up, just let me know ahead of time. Off flying the A320 for a few days now.
Last edited by Kelly on Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

Congrats on the beautiful plane.

Go up to altitude and get really comfortable with slow flight, maneuvering and stalls. You will then see that even 60mph is pretty fast for over the fence. Flying light with a stock wing on my B-Model, 50-52 over the fence is the normal.
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

counsellj wrote:Congrats on the beautiful plane.

Go up to altitude and get really comfortable with slow flight, maneuvering and stalls. You will then see that even 60mph is pretty fast for over the fence. Flying light with a stock wing on my B-Model, 50-52 over the fence is the normal.
Need a like button on posts :D for sure have to do more of this.
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

Have 5.5 on the plane now! :D My partner in one of our aerobatic planes formed up on the our 170, grabbed this still from the video.
4583C

Post by 4583C »

Congratulations on the beautiful new bird and joining TIC170A! I would like to encourage you to join the 170 family for convention in KPEO in October.