Tailwheel chain tension

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

motoadve

Tailwheel chain tension

Post by motoadve »

I replaced the leaf spring on my 170B, with the Univair kit.
Before removing the old springs, we noticed one chain was tense and the other more slack, and both had the same amount of links 17.

The old leafs were so worn out , now with the new ones the chains are super tight.
I think at least an extra link is needed, how much chain tension is recommended on the chains?
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Tailwheel chain tension

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

You have opened a can of worms again.

The Scott install instructions say no slack, no tension. This is very difficult to achieve cause there are few methods to adjust other than a full link. One method is to gently, slightly squeeze several links to stretch them. It doesn't take much.

Some folks adjust the chains on the ground at gross weight, others don't bother to load up the aircraft. Others have noticed the tension to increase with the wheel off the ground after getting the adjustment just right with weight on the wheel, and adjust with slightly less tension to alleviate what ever tension they have while in the air. Others haven't noticed any difference in tension wheel on the ground or in the air.

Have fun, you can spend several weekends adjusting and trying out the result.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

And I think you have the later style with the pulleys on the bulkhead and separate tailwheel cables (rather than from the rudder directly)? Do not run them too tight or you risk tearing the pulleys from the bulkhead - a common problem with these models. Again should be pictures on here somewhere.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

Ignore my comment, looks like you have the regular setup.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

According to Cessna instructions the steering chains should be “taut”…. neither loose nor the springs stretched.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)