Cheap Fuses

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Cheap Fuses

Post by GAHorn »

There have been a few threads in recent years about substituting ordinary AGC glass-tube type fuses into the fuse-sockets of 170 (and other) aircraft because owners were unable to locate the properly-sized AGS fuses. (AGS fuses are actually available from McFarlane https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/search/?q=ags )

I want to advise that there have been an abundance of cheap automotive type fuses manufactured and offered for sale in recent years that have poor quality control and questionable amperage capacities. Use of cheap fuses is NOT what we should be using in airplanes.

General Motors issued a GM Technical Service Bulletin to dealers who had resourced bulk fuses with Fake documentation which cautioned their dealers and service-providers of electrical system failures and fires caused by these devices. Some of these fuses have been sold in packaging which create the appearance that they are mfr’d by reliable makers such as Cooper and LittleFuse…but they are actually counterfeit.

My advice: Avoid buying from non-pedigreed sources. Univair, McFarlane, Aircraft Spruce, Sporty’s, Chief, and…. get this oft-overlooked source for Genuine Parts….. Cessna…. are appropriate sources for parts. Avoid (or at least be suspicious of anything offered at) Ebay and other untraceable sellers of “aircraft” parts.

There is presently (in all markets) a large increase in counterfeit products. I have seen (on Amazon no less) counterfeit Champion spark plugs sold in what appear to be OEM packaging. Do not become “slack” in your search for low-cost items which pertain to safety. (which, in aircraft, means almost all replacement parts.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
DWood

Re: Cheap Fuses

Post by DWood »

Counterfeit blade type automotive fuses have been around for years and well known in the automotive world.
Any examples of counterfeit AGS fuses?
GAHorn

Re: Cheap Fuses

Post by GAHorn »

DWood wrote:Counterfeit blade type automotive fuses have been around for years and well known in the automotive world.
Any examples of counterfeit AGS fuses?
(Just as clarification): I have many examples of AGC countefeits….and that is the type often suggested for subtitution of AGS fuses…and therefore was the target of my initial post.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)