Fuel quantity: level flight vs 3 point ground stance

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Tailwind Farm

Fuel quantity: level flight vs 3 point ground stance

Post by Tailwind Farm »

I have 175 wings on my 170B and was wondering if anyone could tell me the approximate quantity difference seen on the gauge between level flight and sitting on the ground in a 3 point stance. Tanks half full as a reference. I've got a couple sending units that need replacement so I don't trust any numbers I see. Also, I've searched posts but have been unable to find any references for setting nose to tail level flight on the ground.

Keith
pdb

Re: Fuel quantity: level flight vs 3 point ground stance

Post by pdb »

I have no idea about the tank capacity but the TCDS says the following about leveling.

Specifications Pertinent to All Models…

Datum Leveling Means Certification Basis: Front face of firewall Upper door sill

I don’t see why you couldn’t level the airplane with empty tanks per above and then add gas incrementally, comparing the gauge reading with known quantity added.
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The only specification required by FAA is that when the tanks are empty of useable fuel….the gauges must indicate “Empty”.
I will posit only that since a 175 is a tricycle airplane the unsusable fuel must indicate “Empty” in the tricycle stance. Installation of those tanks into a conventional geared airplane would likely require they meet the standard for a tailwheel/tail-low “empty” condition. (I’d not be surprised to hear that this may have some relationship to the “No TakeOff” range on tailwheel airplanes since “unuseable” fuel may appear to be a greater quantity in the 3-point stance.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Tailwind Farm

Post by Tailwind Farm »

pdb wrote:I have no idea about the tank capacity but the TCDS says the following about leveling.

Specifications Pertinent to All Models…

Datum Leveling Means Certification Basis: Front face of firewall Upper door sill
Thanks for that answer!

Maybe I didn't state the rest of my question clearly.

On a stock 170B wing indicating 10 gallons per side in a 3 point stance, typically how much higher will it indicate at a level flight attitude. 1 gallon? 3?

K
pdb

Post by pdb »

Keith,

I understood your question but I don’t know the answer off the top of my head. I have the original gauges which are marked in quarters of a tank, not gallons, and aren’t that accurate anyway.

Pete
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I was confused by the format Pete posted the leveling means of all 170 models. I had to look at it 5 times. 8O

The datum, which you didn't ask for, is the front face of the firewall.

To level all models of 170 you level the upper door sill.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com