ADS-B tail beacon (uAvioni)

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Runk170

ADS-B tail beacon (uAvioni)

Post by Runk170 »

Has anyone installed one of these beacons? It seems like a great replacement of the tail nav light while complying with the ADS-B out regulation. Any information pertaining to field approval 337's would be greatly appreciated. Please contact me at runk140(at)gmail.com.
Thank you
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: ADS-B tail beacon (uAvioni)

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I've installed 4 or 5 of them though only one a 170. There are no issues. Some folks take the time to run a ground from the airframe to the rudder. I've done it running a ground and not running a ground.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Runk170

Post by Runk170 »

Thanks for the info Bruce, I've installed one on my 170. I was most interested in the 337 and was it a field approval? Any advice would be handy as I haven't started the process with the 337 yet. Just wondering about the approval as it's not an STC.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I was all for it but now I’m wondering how robust are the “Fins”? Knowing I’m always squeaking around the tail and end wall of my hangar, I can see myself endlessly kicking my other rear should I damage it.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
wabuchanan

Post by wabuchanan »

Runk170 wrote:Thanks for the info Bruce, I've installed one on my 170. I was most interested in the 337 and was it a field approval? Any advice would be handy as I haven't started the process with the 337 yet. Just wondering about the approval as it's not an STC.
Read the uavionix website, and the paperwork you received with your tail beacon. It should tell you how to fill it out. It is not a field approval. They have a unique AML I believe that covers us.

I don't have mine handy as I answer this, but the website and paperwork pretty much guided me. You need an A&P to sign the 337 as is the norm.
1950 170A N5776C SN:19730
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

It is a special case use of a 337 by the FAA. The hardest thing for mechanics to understand is the FAA has made a special case for this installation only. It does not follow normal directions for filling out a 337. Follow the example they give you exactly.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Runk170

Post by Runk170 »

Again, thanks for the information. Now it's making so much more sense. I was not aware of the special use 337's. Now it's a slam dunk. Thanks again.
Karl Towle

Post by Karl Towle »

c170b53 wrote:I was all for it but now I’m wondering how robust are the “Fins”? Knowing I’m always squeaking around the tail and end wall of my hangar, I can see myself endlessly kicking my other rear should I damage it.
This was my concern as well. Even a tow bar, lifted too high, can collide with, and possibly break the tailBeacon. That, plus the earlier availability persuaded me in the direction of their skyBeacon on the left wing tip.