4th tank in a 1948 Ragwing

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

AK170Ragwing

4th tank in a 1948 Ragwing

Post by AK170Ragwing »

Hello all,

I recently purchased a 1948 Cessna 170 Ragwing that I am planning on taking up to Alaska in the near future. That being said, I would really like to add the 4th tank in the left wing. My understanding is that I will be able to do this up there. I was just curious which tank I should look for to purchase that will be correct for installation. I know where some tanks are so which one out of the three that are already installed in a 1948 Ragwing would work best for me or does it even matter?

Josh
n2582d

Re: 4th tank in a 1948 Ragwing

Post by n2582d »

Josh,

Congratulations on the purchase of your new 170!

Here’s one discussion that may help. If you join the Association you will have access to the Document Library which has good examples of 337 forms in entry 079 and 082 here. As far as I know, there is no STC for this additional tank so a field approval is necessary.
Gary
AK170Ragwing

Post by AK170Ragwing »

Thanks! I'm pretty excited about getting my new 170 back in the air. It's the first airplane that I have ever owned. I think that it will be a great first airplane from the research that I've done! I looked at the article but I didn't really see any specifics about which tank you should try and find to add for the fourth tank. I guess I just need to try and find someone who has done this modification before.

Josh
Bill_Green

Post by Bill_Green »

Josh
Going from memory I think the factory used what we're basically C140 tanks. 12.5 gallons each. Two tanks in the right wing and just one in the left. The outboard tank in the right side didn't have its own filler, but was plumbed into the inboard tank. The left tank you will need will go outboard of the existing left tank. I think a Cessna 120 or 140 left tank will make for the easiest addition. Some modification of the existing left tank and the new tank will be required. As well as some fabric work.
Where in Alaska will your plane be based? I'm in Fairbanks. Always happy to talk airplanes.
Bill
Bill_Green

Post by Bill_Green »

Just noticed that there are some 48 model tanks advertised for sale on the Barnstormers site.
AK170Ragwing

Post by AK170Ragwing »

Bill_Green wrote:Just noticed that there are some 48 model tanks advertised for sale on the Barnstormers site.
Hey Bill! I use to live in the Fairbanks area when I was stationed up in Alaska at Ft. Wainwright back in 2003-2006. I'm not exactly sure what part of Alaska we will be moving to, the only think that I know is that I will be flying cargo out of Anchorage in the near future. The guy on Barnstormers only has right wing tanks. Not sure if those would work or not?
Bill_Green

Post by Bill_Green »

Josh
If you got the outboard tank from the right side I think you would just have to have the fuel line connections welded on the opposite side of the tank to use it on the left outboard. Or get a left side tank from a 140 and have the filler neck removed and patched over. Some welding required either way. Mind you I 'm just going from memory of the 48 model I had.
Let me know when you get settled. I still know a few cargo pilots around ANC.
Bill
melcessna

Post by melcessna »

I have the fourth tank in my 48. The plumbing flange needs to be moved inboard on the lower right of the outboard 4th tank and the inboard tank needs an access flange welded outboard on the lower left. You'll then just connect with a rubber fuel hose and clamps. Take a hole saw and drill the rib in the fuel bay to plumb the hose. You'll also need to make a fuel bay floor for the outboard tank with risers covered with felt to set the tank. I located a vendor at a reasonable price for 90 degree stop nuts that will be riveted to the tank hold down strips. Also, the new tank floor will need the holes drilled for the fabric clips. You may call me if you wish and I can text you some pictures. The Association's library is quite helpful. I may be reached at 317-408-9092. Mike Lewis
Michael E. Lewis
AK170Ragwing

Post by AK170Ragwing »

melcessna wrote:I have the fourth tank in my 48. The plumbing flange needs to be moved inboard on the lower right of the outboard 4th tank and the inboard tank needs an access flange welded outboard on the lower left. You'll then just connect with a rubber fuel hose and clamps. Take a hole saw and drill the rib in the fuel bay to plumb the hose. You'll also need to make a fuel bay floor for the outboard tank with risers covered with felt to set the tank. I located a vendor at a reasonable price for 90 degree stop nuts that will be riveted to the tank hold down strips. Also, the new tank floor will need the holes drilled for the fabric clips. You may call me if you wish and I can text you some pictures. The Association's library is quite helpful. I may be reached at 317-408-9092. Mike Lewis

Thanks Mike,

Sorry for the late reply. I'm still in training in Miami so I haven't logged on here in a while. I might take you up on that phone call after I finish with training. I would like the opportunity to speak with you about the 4th tank modification.

Best regards,

Josh Ison
859-270-5737
melcessna

Post by melcessna »

Anytime
Michael E. Lewis