Door Handle Plate Assembly?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Tom Brookover

Door Handle Plate Assembly?

Post by Tom Brookover »

I seem to have a screw loose... in the pilot side door handle assembly. I am re-upholstering the interior door side panels and, after absorbing the advise on this forum, succeeded in removing the handle (and side panel). Only to find this screw hanging loose. It has some metal on the threaded end that prevents it from pulling completely out, but it doesn't seem to go into anything on the door side of the assembly.

Anybody know what it is supposed to do, or even if it belongs there? I don't see it in the IPCs for either the 170 or 172, so I am really scratching my head now. Tempted to close it up as is but thought I'd better ask first.
Attachments
IMG_0832.jpg
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Door Handle Plate Assembly?

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

There normally would be a pin in one of those holes with a cotter that holds it in. The pin stops the handle from being turned in the wrong direction and destroying the control arm that activates the latch.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
dstates

Post by dstates »

In this shot from the 170B parts catalog it is item #22 which is a clevis pin AN394-27. Bruce is correct that it limits travel of the handle.
A2BC2AD9-C89C-4D1E-A4EE-A2B71866C6A4.jpeg
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
Tom Brookover

Post by Tom Brookover »

Thanks to you both. Looks like someone used the screw in lieu of the clevis pin at some point in the past. I'll bring this up to my A&P at the next chance.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

If you don't have that pin in the correct hole, the control "rod", actually a flat strip of aluminum #49in the illustration, can be ripped in two cause the "rod' can be twisted on itself. If the pin is in the incorrect hole, you won't be able to open the door from the outside door handle.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com