Shoulder Harness Nut Plate Dimensions

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

pinkiedog64

Shoulder Harness Nut Plate Dimensions

Post by pinkiedog64 »

Hello all,

I am in process of an owner-assist annual on my 1951 A model SN 19927. I am planning to install shoulder harnesses while it is down for annual. I have already removed the headliner and confirmed I do not have the nut plates in the rear carry-through spar. I am planning to install these nut plates under the Cessna AK170-10 document (I found that document on another shoulder harness thread here on the forum...also attached below). My question is related to Figure 2 of that document on the distance from aircraft centerline (CL) to center of the nut plate. I am questioning the 1.28 dimension in Figure 2. Going off of Figure 2, the distance from CL would be 2.22 + 1.28 = 3.5 inches. I am wondering if the 1.28 dimension is a type and should be 12.8 (decimal in wrong place?) or if not, something larger than 1.28. 3.5 inches from CL does not seem enough by eyeballing the center of the seats/yokes. I didn't have a tape measure with me, but I estimate more like 12-14 inches from centerline is where the center of the seats would be, and thus where I thought the shoulder harness attachment to the rear carry-though spar would be. Also, just visually looking at Figure 2, the 1.28 isn't to scale to the 2.22 dimension (which is really a reference dimension), also is has the squiggly which indicated the dimension is larger than the graphical depiction.

If someone who has these nut plate installed would be willing to measure the distance from CL I would be grateful. Or if you know off the top of your head what the dimension should be.

Thanks,

Stephan
Attachments
AK 170-10 Shoulder Harness Installation (1).pdf
(483.36 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
pinkiedog64

Re: Shoulder Harness Nut Plate Dimensions

Post by pinkiedog64 »

Doh, a little more looking and I found my answer: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10040.

This forum is great. I'm drafting up a post to summarize my first owner-assist annual. Lots of good information I have gleaned from this forum.

Stephan