Carb Heat box

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Joe Moilanen

Carb Heat box

Post by Joe Moilanen »

Has any company that anyone knows of produced an approved carb heat box that is worthy? I need to at least replace the butterfly shaft and bearings, but would like to replace the whole box if I could find a good one. TIA

Joe
4518C
GAHorn

Re: Carb Heat box

Post by GAHorn »

As you know, Joe, Spruce, Wag-Aero, etc all offer an airbox that has no official approval and relies upon the owner and/or his inspector to find an approval basis for it. That is a poor method but one to which some owners have successfully resorted.

When my 172C airbox was found to be in shambles…. I mailed it to Del Lehman in Mena AR … and a week later…. a rebuilt/practically new airbox was returned to me complete with an assortment of hardware to re-attach the carb-heat control cables. I considered it a god-send.

No paperwork was requested, expected, or supplied….but its airworthiness is without question. (The mx record states that the airbox was “repaired and returned to service”.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
pdb

Post by pdb »

Atlee Dodge does great work rebuilding airboxes as well.

https://fadodge.com/services/
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

GAHorn wrote:As you know, Joe, Spruce, Wag-Aero, etc all offer an airbox that has no official approval and relies upon the owner and/or his inspector to find an approval basis for it. That is a poor method but one to which some owners have successfully resorted.

When my 172C airbox was found to be in shambles…. I mailed it to Del Lehman in Mena AR … and a week later…. a rebuilt/practically new airbox was returned to me complete with an assortment of hardware to re-attach the carb-heat control cables. I considered it a god-send.

No paperwork was requested, expected, or supplied….but its airworthiness is without question. (The mx record states that the airbox was “repaired and returned to service”.)
I bought one from Wag-Aero years ago and sent it back, it was pretty bad... My airbox looks like it has had a lot of "body and fender" work over the years. My 0-300D came off from a 172 before I owned the plane, it may have nosed over at one time or something happened, it's had some damage. I'll probably just re-bearing the butterfly shaft and call it good if I don't find one. It works fine I'd just like to get a better one if I happen to run across one

Joe
4518C
sgrimsley2717

Post by sgrimsley2717 »

Check with Fresno Airparts. I purchased a new one two years ago. They sill list this part but it is expensive. Current price is now $1275. It was $300 less when I bought mine. Look on page 15 of the section for C-145 engines. These are difficult to find in decent shape on the used market. You can also search on Ebay. Good luck.
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

sgrimsley2717 wrote:Check with Fresno Airparts. I purchased a new one two years ago. They sill list this part but it is expensive. Current price is now $1275. It was $300 less when I bought mine. Look on page 15 of the section for C-145 engines. These are difficult to find in decent shape on the used market. You can also search on Ebay. Good luck.
Thank you! I'll check them out.

Joe
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

pdb wrote:Atlee Dodge does great work rebuilding airboxes as well.

https://fadodge.com/services/
Thanks!